Default Looking for opinions

Currently own and surfing a 1988 Mastercraft Tristar 190
    Looking to upgrade and may have a opportunity for a good deal on a 2009 Launch 21v but after reading some forums i hear people having a hard time making a surfable wake. Does anybody have any experience or knowledge of both boats to steer me in the right direction?

I cant imagine this would be a step backwards for me but looking for some opinions
    Thanks in advance

The Tristar is a completion ski boat . Because the sides are so low its hard to get enough ballast in it. Is the launch a V drive? Do you have a wake shaper?

Yes the launch is a v drive and i do own a homemade wakeshaper that seems to work okay.
    Yes it is next to impossible to ballast the tristar enough to get a respectable wake, but we manage. After reading alot of forums folks are saying the launch is tough to make a "good" wake for surfing with but i imagine a marginal wake with the launch is better than the wake i can make with the tristar, right?

Quote Originally Posted by calvink View Post
    Currently own and surfing a 1988 Mastercraft Tristar 190
    Looking to upgrade and may have a opportunity for a good deal on a 2009 Launch 21v but after reading some forums i hear people having a hard time making a surfable wake. Does anybody have any experience or knowledge of both boats to steer me in the right direction?

I cant imagine this would be a step backwards for me but looking for some opinions
    Thanks in advance
    Contact the guys at Nauticurl. Pretty sure they have the same/similar boat, and their shapers are great.

The Launch will be better with no ballast than the MC is full

We just bought an 08 sunsport 22v after having a tristar 190. If you can surf the mastercraft then you will be amazed at the Supra

Quote Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
    Contact the guys at Nauticurl. Pretty sure they have the same/similar boat, and their shapers are great.
    Yep. As Shoebox said, they have an ?08? 22’ Launch. If you look at the pics on their web page, that have it throwing a big surf wave.

Assume they are running a bunch of weight too.

Camera angles can change the way things look, but they are legit.

By playing with the surf-side weight, that will help clean-up the wake face lip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

Cool

Thanks for all of the help guys, Decided to pull the trigger on the Launch. Basically stole the boat, it has 125+- hours but has been in shrink wrap since 2017. Had to throw a new starter at it and obviously change all of the fluids. Also all of the ballast pumps and controllers are shot, Pumps were locked solid. I pulled them apart and got them running but they are not long for the world. Next the controllers circuit boards are corroded beyond repair due to a leaking fill/drain ballast hose. I have ordered all new controllers and pumps so we will see what happens next.
    Had the bags filled for one session and i thought the wave was pretty decent but i will be looking to get it a bit longer soon. I am thinking some lead in the bow should help with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Creekrat View Post
    We just bought an 08 sunsport 22v after having a tristar 190. If you can surf the mastercraft then you will be amazed at the Supra
    We are definitely amazed, after surfing behind a 89 Challenger and a 88 Mastercraft the Supra is absolutely wicked, that being said it didnt take us long to see the potential and continue to want more, i will be playing with weight and wedge as soon as i get our ballast bags working correctly. Cant wait. I can see alot of late dinners in my future no one wants to head back to the dock with a nice wave going.