Default Driveline and Gel Coat Repair

Hey guys/gals, just wondering your thoughts on the quotes I got. I'm hoping this will all be covered under my insurance policy. Damage was caused by hitting an unknown submerged object.

My best guess is new prop, strut, shaft, and fix oil that is now leaking from front of transmission (front oil seal?). The quote I got for that was approximately $2,500 for parts and labor. I guessed $2,000 so I figure that's close.

The marina sends out their gelcoat work to an auto body place. They quoted me $3,500-4000. That to me seems really high!!

Any thoughts? Also, anything else to check/change while they are that deep in work? I was thinking damper plate.

20200608_095326.jpg

20200608_095614.jpg

20200608_095525.jpg

20200608_095438.jpg
    Kevin

1993 Supra Sunsport
    5.8 351 HO PCM @ 285hp / PCM (40 A) 1.23:1
    Acme 422 Propeller 4 Blade 12.5 X 15.5 RH 1" Bore .105 cup
    Ballast: (2) 540 lb and (2) 350 lb Straight Line Launch Pad
    Wakeboard: CWB Absolute w/ Faction bindings / Surfboards: Hyperlite Coex & Broadcast

"Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should have accomplished with your ability." ~John Wooden

If it were mine, I'd prefer to have someone that only does boat repair to work on it, not an auto body shop. $3500 plus does seem high, but if it's not something they do every day, that may be why they are estimating it high. Could not tell you what it should be but gelcoat repair is labor intensive and depending on what a shop chargers per hour, can run high for even small repairs.

Anyway, sucks to have that damage. Best of luck.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Quote Originally Posted by Mischief IV View Post
    If it were mine, I'd prefer to have someone that only does boat repair to work on it, not an auto body shop. $3500 plus does seem high, but if it's not something they do every day, that may be why they are estimating it high. Could not tell you what it should be but gelcoat repair is labor intensive and depending on what a shop chargers per hour, can run high for even small repairs.

Anyway, sucks to have that damage. Best of luck.
    Thanks for the reply! According to the marina, this place is where they send all their gelcoat work. Sounds like it's something they do regularly, not just on the side. They could have quoted me high based on pictures and not actually seeing the boat.

The emotions of all this has been a roller coaster! Out on the boat feeling good, hit something and feeling bad, not knowing if insurance covers it and feeling worse, finding out you're covered and feeling better, knowing you won't have your boat for June and back to feeling bad. Lol!
    Kevin

1993 Supra Sunsport
    5.8 351 HO PCM @ 285hp / PCM (40 A) 1.23:1
    Acme 422 Propeller 4 Blade 12.5 X 15.5 RH 1" Bore .105 cup
    Ballast: (2) 540 lb and (2) 350 lb Straight Line Launch Pad
    Wakeboard: CWB Absolute w/ Faction bindings / Surfboards: Hyperlite Coex & Broadcast

"Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should have accomplished with your ability." ~John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by kvand347 View Post
    Thanks for the reply! According to the marina, this place is where they send all their gelcoat work. Sounds like it's something they do regularly, not just on the side. They could have quoted me high based on pictures and not actually seeing the boat.

The emotions of all this has been a roller coaster! Out on the boat feeling good, hit something and feeling bad, not knowing if insurance covers it and feeling worse, finding out you're covered and feeling better, knowing you won't have your boat for June and back to feeling bad. Lol!
    Most boats shops are probably full by now. I have one boat in shop for restoration but the shop where it is at is already full for the summer. It’s been in there since March.
    There were nine boats in there today plus 3 waiting outside not to mention all the torn up Jetskis and with 6 guys working long hours, they still can’t repair them fast enough.

The auto shop if they regularly do boats and/ or fiberglass repair would be a great option because you might get it back quicker than a boat shop now that summer is full on. Whatever you’re comfortable with and agreeable on price is all that matters.
    I have been known to ask for pics of previous jobs and even call their clients for reference to get a sense of who I’m working with.
    Hopefully they treat you right, price comes down and insurance pays since that is what it is there for.

Never a good time to have the boat unavailable especially during the summer.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242