Thread: Trailer

Default Trailer

I just purchased a new SE450 and it comes with a dual axle with the smaller tires. Looking at a lot of dealer sites, it looks like the SE450 is mainly towed with the tri-axle. I am somewhat concerned that the dealer skimped on the trailer. Any thoughts on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Paulson21 View Post
    I just purchased a new SE450 and it comes with a dual axle with the smaller tires. Looking at a lot of dealer sites, it looks like the SE450 is mainly towed with the tri-axle. I am somewhat concerned that the dealer skimped on the trailer. Any thoughts on this?
    I wouldn’t say they skimped. I think a lot of people who drop that much money on a new boat opt for the truck axle for bling status but I think the dual axle is plenty sufficient and common as well. Unless you plan on loading a bunch of lead in it I wouldn’t worry about it. Regardless of the number of axles, they are not going to put under rated ones on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2008 Moomba Mobius LSV. Full Exile System. Can you hear me now?

Default Trailer

Twin axle with 15’s is plenty for a SE450

15’s carry more weight than 18’s

The Tri axle looks like same load rating as twin and has old school leaf springs versus the torsion suspension, you can always upgrade to 18’s because they do look badass.

Lastly, a Tri axle seems like it would be a PITA to get to rotate.

Your boat weighs 6150 and boat and trailer weigh 7750, the trailer is rated for 10000# and frame is rated for 8400# so you can carry an added 2250 inside the boat but a tri axle can only hold 1950# plus it weighs 300# more.

I would go twin axle all day.

I suppose if you trailered in the mountains, I would go Tri axle for the additional braking capacity on long down hill passes.

Last edited by Larry Arizona; 06-15-2020 at 05:15 PM.

Good comments from above. I would take the 15s vs 18s and most of this is the 'bling factor' when you are rocking a 130-150k boat.
    2018 Supra SL400

The 15 D range take 2540# each and 18’s are around 2000#

Not sure about 15 E range but guessing 2700#+