Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 87 Supra won't start

Hello everyone,

This is my first post. I am new to this forum and new to the boating world. I knew I would end up here with questions but was hoping not this soon. We bought an 87 Soltare this spring. We have had it out several times with no issues. Went out today and it would not start. Nothing at all when you turned the key, a few times click, click, click. Battery is fully charged. I assume it is the starter that is bad. I'm not very mechanical but I'm going to have to learn. Of course on a Friday. Any help would be appreciated. Look forward to learning more from the stacks of wisdom here.
    What did Washington say to his men before crossing the Delaware? "Get in the boat."

What is voltage measured at the battery, and at the starter? Also, what are those voltages when attempting to crank the boat over?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Check your neutral switch both at the throttle and the transmission. I bet your issue lies there.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

It could be the starter or the battery cables or connections. Do you have the 454 or the 351?

Quote Originally Posted by michael hunter View Post
    It could be the starter or the battery cables or connections. Do you have the 454 or the 351?
    Agreed. If all the connections are clean and tight, I would bet its the starter. You wouldn't get a "click click" now and then if the neutral safety switch was causing the issue. If you determine its the starter, please make sure you get a marine starter, not an automotive one from Autozone. Mine went bad on my 89' Conbrio and I bought a new one from Discount Inboard marine. https://www.skidim.com/

Thanks folks. I don't have a volt meter, something I will need to add soon. The other accessories were on so I didn't think it was the battery. I decided to try charging the battery and that did the trick. I can spin the alternator by hand so belt needs to be tightened or alternator needs to be replaced or both.

@michael Hunter I am not sure actually on motor size ( i know right) I believe the 454 by other pictures I have seen here but the tag doesn't say it or I don't know where to look.

the starter is new, the old one is still in the cubby upfront under the passenger side storage compartment.

I did check the neutral switch at the stick but not on the transmission end.

We did get it running and ran it on the lake the next day. It still didn't want to hit on the turn of the key every time. Sometimes it would take several turns of the key to get it to turn over.

Thank you everyone. Again I have lots to learn.
    What did Washington say to his men before crossing the Delaware? "Get in the boat."

Sorry, I did write a response to everyone but it looks like it didn't post. I apologize. Not polite to ask for help and then not give a response. I don't have a volt meter but I did charge the battery and that did help get the boat started and running. I suspect it is the alternator.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlink View Post
    Check your neutral switch both at the throttle and the transmission. I bet your issue lies there.
    I did check the neutral switch at the stick end but not at the transmission.

I am not sure engine size, I have looked on tag but it is not clear to me (i know right! I should know) I believe 454 based on other pictures I have seen on here and other places. There may be some connections that need to be checked.

Quote Originally Posted by secondsupra2004 View Post
    Agreed. If all the connections are clean and tight, I would bet its the starter. You wouldn't get a "click click" now and then if the neutral safety switch was causing the issue. If you determine its the starter, please make sure you get a marine starter, not an automotive one from Autozone. Mine went bad on my 89' Conbrio and I bought a new one from Discount Inboard marine. https://www.skidim.com/
    the starter appears to be new. the old one is still in the cubby.