I have a 2001 Legacy with a PCM GT40 EFI engine. I had an overheating issues caused by the water pump being installed upside down during service. The upper hoses were obviously affected as they bubbled. We replaced those right away. The silencers/mufflers leaked at the connection to the lower hose as well. We made attempts to repair the cracking at the ends of the silencer and it held for a season. The repair has failed and the water is dripping in at a steady pace now. We have made the decision to replace the silencers. I also would like to replace the rear hoses at the same time.

Now to the question. Do you have to pull the gas tank to get to the attachment to the through-hull fitting with the flappers, or can you unscrew the flange and pull the hose out of the back of the boat? The only photo I have found of the area shows a very tight space under the gas tank where the hose clamps are installed.

Has anyone done this repair that may have any pointers to make the job go smoothly? Thank you in advance.