Thread: won't turn over

Default won't turn over

Does anyone have experience with the neutral button not working, and having to pull it out and in 10 times before the engine turns over? I am starting the boat for the first time this year, and I think the neutral button is toast, but not sure. Any advice would be appreciated 1989 supra conbrio 351 pcm.

The button on the throttle control has nothing to do with the starter . The neutral safety switch is on the top of the transmission . It sounds like the shift cable is out of adjustment.

Thanks Michael, i'll look into that.

There is a clicking sound coming from the safety switch area by the transmission, i cleaned the terminals and same ckick. Do those go bad? I had an electric start put in around 10 years ago, could that be bad? No luck tapping the starter either.

Neutral safety switch or starter solenoid on the back of the block

If the starter solenoid is clicking then its not the neutral safety switch on the trans. Check the battery and the main battery wires at both the battery and the engine ground and the solenoid . Then check the big battery wire from the solenoid to the starter. If they are good replace the solenoid and starter or go with a high torque gear reduction starter and eliminate the solenoid. Some pic's would help identify what you are working on.