Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1982 Supra Mariah leaks

I am new to boating and have a 1992 boat that seems to have a consistent slow leak in the middle of the hull. Not quite sure where to look or how to look for it as the engine compartment is only so big. Any suggestions? Do I dry dock at and fix the fins?

Are you sure its not the prop shaft packing? They are supposed to leak a few drops per minute to lubricate the packing.

It could also be the rudder port, earlier models have a packing gland but a 1992 probably has o-rings. I had to remove and reseal my swim platform brackets a few years ago, at least one was leaking. There's only a few places water can leak in these boats. I also tighten all coolant hose clamps every spring when getting the boat ready. Never had one leak but I try to stay on top of preventative.

Quote Originally Posted by michael hunter View Post
    Are you sure its not the prop shaft packing? They are supposed to leak a few drops per minute to lubricate the packing.
    Nope it’s not that. I also found a couple leaks around the engine mounts and took care of those as well. It’s definitely coming from the front part of the boat and when I turn the bilge pump on when I first leave the dock it’ll run for a couple minutes with a solid strain

Do these boats have fins / rudders in the bottom of them or some type of protruding pieces of steel that help with the turn on the boat? The other day I pumped out all the water and I took towels and dried out the whole area and then I sat and watched to see where the water was coming from. It’s coming from towards the metal or in front of the engine compartment area.

Tracking fins have through bolts into the bilge, one pair goes through part of the pylon mount. Never heard of them leaking, but it's possible they could need to be cleaned up and resealed. The garboard plug for the drain plug could also be leaking. If you have Perfect Pass there may be a through hull for the paddlewheel which could have a leaky o-ring or less likely need the through hull fitting resealed.

Quote Originally Posted by cadunkle View Post
    Tracking fins have through bolts into the bilge, one pair goes through part of the pylon mount. Never heard of them leaking, but it's possible they could need to be cleaned up and resealed. The garboard plug for the drain plug could also be leaking. If you have Perfect Pass there may be a through hull for the paddlewheel which could have a leaky o-ring or less likely need the through hull fitting resealed.
    Unless the skegs (fins) have been replaced due to prior damage, I agree with Cadunkle, no way that is the cause. Drain plug...perhaps. My older boats leaked at the shaft packing and the rudder.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Where the water enters and where it appears could be 2 very different spots. Plus, in front of the engine is the lowest point of the bilge so a likely place for accumulation. Another common source of leaking is where the transom supertraps overlap the exhaust tubes about 2" up the pipes from the transom.

Thanks for the information. There is a lot of water coming into this boat under the engine area. When it is docked, The front of the boat is tilted up. I’m not a true boater yet so I don’t know the terminology. I know that when I use towels to dry that area out, all the water came from the front of the boat. I sat and watched it come in. I just can’t see far enough up in front of the engine say where it’s coming from.

What is the transom?

Is the drain plug located directly under the engine?

The shaft packing is not leaking anymore. Should it be?

What is the pylon mount? And garboard plug?

Many thanks for asking these questions. This is the first boat I’ve ever owned in my life and I’m 55 years old. Trying to figure it out. Enjoying the challenge.

Pics are always the best way to go. These boats aren't rocket science but there's a learning curve. Good for you buddy. Many of us started learning on old Supras. You've come to a good place. Some of these items have multiple names based on region or old school/new school.

transom- the stern section of the hull (the swim platform is mounted to it)
    drain plug- there's one forward of the engine (also sometimes called garboard plug...old school) and another mounted on the transom that's not often used because it's really hard to reach but can still leak...some models may not even have the transom plug
    shaft packing- you could have packing that should leak or or a seal that shouldn't (we can tell you if you pics)
    pylon mount- refers to the ski pylon for attaching ski ropes that is located immediately in front of the engine

Again, just because water appears to be entering the bilge from the front doesn't mean it's entering from the boat from the forward parts of the hull. There are way fewer points forward of the engine where water can enter compared to aft of the engine. Take a look under the hull if you can and you'll see. Plus, when underway, the hull forward of the engine is mostly out of the water.