Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

OK thank you for the information. Very much appreciated. I would’ve never guessed those definitions.

I pulled the boat out yesterday and plan to let it dry out for a day or so. Friend of mine told me to take the garden hose and fill out the bottom of the boat and get underneath and look for leaks. Sounds like a good idea just not sure.

I know that most the water comes in to the boat when I first take it off shore and onto the main lake. There’s a canal I have to travel that’s approximately 100 yards long before I get to the main lake. By the time I get to the main lake the bilge pump is already turned on by itself and is pumping a steady stream. After that it’s just a constant on off of the pump was in is weird to me.

My concern is that the boat will take on water faster than the bilge pump at some point. So I’d like to find the source now.

I will post some pictures of my activities.

Many thanks for your help!!

Filling the bilge sometimes doesn't work well. Instead of dripping straight to the ground water will run down the hull to the lowest point and drip from there. Plus, will take a good bit of water which you'll then have to drain.

Dry the inside of the bilge. Have your buddy drive at hull speed (as slow as possible) so you can open the dog house to take a look. It's most likely the driveshaft or rudder. Next likely possibilities are a loose engine hose or the exhaust. The exhaust leak is hard to see because water doesn't immediately enter the bilge. It goes under the floors and finds a way into the bilge. And, the spot I mentioned earlier about 2" up the exhaust pipes needs to be sealed. If it's not leaking now it will eventually. It's a common source of rotten stringers/floors. Drain plugs can leak but rudders and driveshafts are more common. Rubrails can leak but again not as common.

Eliminate the obvious and work methodically.