Thread: Gates VS Tabs

Default Gates VS Tabs

So we are considering doing a surf system on our 08 Sunsport 22V and was curious what the consensus was about the Malibu style gates vs tabs. Also, we will be redoing the interior and floor and was curious if there was any way to possibly put some ballast sub floor???
    2008 Sunsport 22v

Try a suck gate first you can make one for about $20.00.

We have the Roswell Deflector but haven’t been able to use it yet. Waiting on new suction cups from Roswell. What brief time we had it on the boat it looked great. We are mostly regular riders but have a few goofy ones that go with us and The SWMBO would love it if we didn’t have to list it as much and we’re able to switch from regular to goofy a lot quicker
    2008 Sunsport 22v

You have lots of options depending on what you want to spend:

Suck Gates have many different styles, shapes, and sizes. Even the double suck-gates - some put double in the back and I have seen others with 1 in the back and 1 in the front.

Ronix was making a Eight.3 wedge that you attach to the side of the boat.

I have seen homemade gates that attach to the swim platform - like a BU Gate.

If you are talking about spending bigger money, you can go to tabs. Someone build homemade ones, I think the cost was between $500-1000.

The surf tabs systems are nice, GSA ,Infinity, or WakeLand - some are complete systems with controllers and auto GPS functionality to auto-retract after a specific speed, but they are costly.

As for gates vs tabs, depends on who you ask. Both work. On the new boats, you get the height/length by adjusting the center plate. The new designs of the tabs help shape the top lip of the wave and make them cleaner. Also a function of how the water rolls of the bottom of the boat - deeper-v VS shallower-v.

The suck-gate is the cheapest and easiest. That works well on you hull.
    Last edited by MJHKnox; 07-17-2020 at 02:20 PM.
    2018 Supra SL400

I’m a pretty handy guy and can fab anything that I’d need. I’m considering doing a surf gate style or tab style surf system similar to the newer boats. I know that automated gates would be easier but just curious if I did tabs if the wave would be that much better or pretty similar to an equally weighted boat with the gate style
    2008 Sunsport 22v