Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013 242ssv

Default 2013 242ssv

I'm looking at picking up a 2013 242 sunsport tomorrow, and I've been browsing the web gathering information about the model. There isnt too much info on them. Any pro's and cons? Any known issues to check for with these years and models? I've seen a few things regarding the driver information screen/unit being troublesome.
    In the 60k range am I better off picking up a newer moomba instead?

I like that it's a 24ft, but the freeboard appears pretty low.
    It also appears after reading as many threads as I can find on different forums that this is NOT a surf boat. Perhaps I should pass?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by j.mo; 07-23-2020 at 03:02 AM.

Yes, go for a new Moomba.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Quote Originally Posted by Mischief IV View Post
    Yes, go for a new Moomba.
    I've read all your threads.

I pm'ed you, few questions for you

Last edited by j.mo; 07-23-2020 at 10:52 AM.

Default 2013 242ssv

There’s no comparison, one is a budget boat the other is a Cadillac of the water. 242 is an awesome surf and general water sports boat. They’re priced accordingly for a reason. I would take the 242 over any one of the new bath tubs any day. If you want something strictly for surfing go get a lifetime membership at a water park instead of blowing 60k on a boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '92 Comp ts6m - 5.8 PCM Pro Boss Carb
    '02 Launch SS - 5.7 Indmar Assualt TBI

Quote Originally Posted by Zkdk3000 View Post
    There’s no comparison, one is a budget boat the other is a Cadillac of the water. 242 is an awesome surf and general water sports boat. They’re priced accordingly for a reason. I would take the 242 over any one of the new bath tubs any day. If you want something strictly for surfing go get a lifetime membership at a water park instead of blowing 60k on a boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Personally, I'm past the surf phase of my life. I just want to make sure its capable for the lady and guests to enjoy themselves.
    Id prefer a longer, larger boat with more creature comforts and amenities over a mondo wave.
    I'm not necessarily looking for a g23 wave, I just need a drop the rope and enjoy wave.

Nice talking with you, hope the test drive goes well. I believe it will perform up to your standards. With a new prop, new bags and some tweaks, you'll really enjoy this ride.
    I wouldn't trade or sell mine for anything.

1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

I've been on Mischief's 242. It surfs very well once you have upgraded bags and it's easy to place a surf-gate on the side for surfing - no complex surf systems to learn. Cannot comment on the wakeboard wake. If you have a large crew, it would probably need an upgraded prop to surf, but you have plenty of storage (ROOMY), people will not be bouncing into one another. Interiors are nicer vs Moomba. You will hear a lot of comments about the 242 was the last year of the boats that had "lines" - b/c after the 242 the SE look was how the style was moving, SE, SA, SG, SL, SC, etc.

If you like the Supra SE, very different from the 242, the 2015 models will be around $75-80k. Very different boat from the 242 - looks and operating systems.

If there is one boat in the Moomba line to take a look at - the Mojo - probably a 2018. There is a Mojo and Mojo Surf (upgraded bags) It's around 23', surfs well, wakeboards well, and has a surf system - called Flow - there are 3 versions of it now - 2015 was v1, 2016 was v2, 2018 was v3. The bow will sit higher than the Supra. They also came out with the G6 ballast system in 2018 - 3 vs 6 pumps.

The Moomba Makai did not come out until 2019. Big boat, but is probably north of $75-80k. Needs an add'l 1K of weight to perform well.
    2018 Supra SL400

Thanks for all the info guys!

Dan (mischief) has been a great help. Nice guy.

After the test drive, we ended up purchasing the boat. However, since we are on the roadside half way home with a tire blowout, I have some time to kill.

This evening I'll probably order a wakeshaper and some 1100's from wakemakers. I'll see how it fares with the prop that's on it now with the 6.0L, I'm assuming it's the factory prop.

Once I get home I'll dig in a little and we are planning to drop it in the water at the lake by our house this evening when we make it home.

Quote Originally Posted by j.mo View Post
    Thanks for all the info guys!

Dan (mischief) has been a great help. Nice guy.
    Thanks for the kind words...even after the sarcasm I posted to start the replies.

Sorry about the tire, that is 242 luck right there. I’ve blown two tires on my trailer which gets hardly used so feel your pain.

Beautiful boat! Love the color scheme. Interior is lighter than mine but looks to be in good shape. Trailer is two color?

Post more pics up when you can and don’t hesitate to call or text me if you need more advice on surf setup.
    Be glad to help.

1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Some good news, the boat already has an acme 1235 on it. So a nauticurl and the wakemakers bags and we should be in business.
    The boat is pretty clean, but not to my standards. So I have some days ahead of polishing, and deep detail cleaning.

We are going to take it out this morning for a shakedown and familiarize ourselves with it.

Getting something set up to tint the windshield and deciding if I want to bury myself in this thing with some wetsounds and other upgrades or not.

Last edited by j.mo; 07-24-2020 at 10:47 AM.