Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default No forward or reverse. 84 comp

This year must be our problem year with the 84. Today we were cruising down the lake (maybe 25-30mph) and all the sudden lost all propulsion like the engine suddenly lost contact with the transmission. No sounds. Stopped, turned off and on and even tried manually pushing where the cable hooks to the transmission as it was almost like it just wasn't shifting into gear. Still nothing. Revved and the shaft stayed still, no odd noises, checked tranny fluid, it was a little low but nothing terrible. Added some and that didn't do anything. Any ideas? Damper plate? Tranny rebuild?

Can you confirm that the gear selector is positively engaging the detents for both forward and reverse when you do it manually? Seems odd that you arent getting either gear.

If it was a damper plate, typically you would hear a lot of rattling or sounds at idle or during a rev if something was broken but it could be that the splined section has come free or something odd. I had a couple of springs let go on mine and it was quite the noise.

Either way, to check the damper plate you have to pull the trans/bellhousing off so it is probably not a bad idea to get the trans refreshed while its out.
    1985 Supra Comp TS6M
    351 Windsor - 240 HP
    Velvet Drive - 1:1
    Fully Rebuilt

So it was making the rattle noises at idle previous, and had been for quite some time. Mainly when the engine was still warming up etc. I guess i didn't mention that.

Sounds like it could be damper plate related, unfortunately that means trans has to come out.

But confirm that when you shift it by hand on the trans that it is positively engaging in the detent. I also had the brass bushing on the back of of the throttle/shifter where the cable attaches to wear out which was causing the poor engagement and eventually failed completely. All the throttle would do is rev the engine.
    1985 Supra Comp TS6M
    351 Windsor - 240 HP
    Fully Rebuilt

replaced damper plate and still no forward or reverse. Anyone have ideas?

Even if you manually shift the trans at the casing?

Unfortunately looks like something internal to the trans. Although the damper plate didn't solve it, good "cheap" preventative maintenance for future.

Best way to test is pull the trans, manually shift it and rotate the input shaft by hand to see what happens. Diagnose from there.
    1985 Supra Comp TS6M
    351 Windsor - 240 HP
    Fully Rebuilt

Yeah didn't matter if i manually shifted at the casing. At this point i think the seasons over.

Pull the trans and make sure the damper plate is turning the input shaft . If that is it its an easy fix .

Michael,
    I'll do that next. What is the fix if thats the problem?

It sounds like the damper plate may be broken it is the connection between the engine flywheel and the transmission input shaft kinda like a clutch on a car . If the damper is broken its a easy replacement. Skidim has them.