Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Muffler leak

that's awesome

I'd like to know how you replaced these rubber hoses.... this was one of the worst parts about pulling and reinstalling the engine. These hoses were stiff and HARD to push back onto both the pipes and the manifolds. I don't think they leak on my boat, but they certainly don't look straight and/or good at all!

when those hoses get old, they're a b!tch. new ones are easier to slide on but still not fun. i replaced all of mine, looks a hell of alot better than before.

Could you please help me and tell me why I have water slowly streaming in from around the thing that my steering cable is connected to? It’s the gold thing In your picture at the back
    Of the boat in the middle . Thanks

Killer thread revival!...just over 10 years. Brings back memories.

If you're talking about the cylindrical sort of tower looking part it's the top of the rudder. As a moving piece going through the hull it has a seal that eventually wears out. There are at least 2 different styles of rudder seals. If you're lucky, you have a grease zerk (or nipple) and can just pump some grease in. If that's the case go buy a lottery ticket too because it's super long shot that will do the trick. 30 year old boats more likely need a new seal and the grease will just make a mess.

Do a search for rudder seal and you'll find some newer threads with lots of details about replacing it.

Since this thread has been reborn, I'd love some insight on replacing the exhaust hoses. I noticed a leak on one of mine, so it's on my list of winter projects. My boat has fiberglass mufflers too, and I'm probably going to replace them preventively while I'm there. I always cut the hose lengthwise along the fitting to remove, which should be fairly easy to do with a slitter wheel. I'm having nightmares about getting the new ones on, though.

Have the hoses developed soft spots? They're pretty bullet proof except for being overheated. It's possible for them to get a little crooked when not fully clamped down. That could cause a leak.

Old exhaust hoses are a b!tch to work with. They get stiff and maybe even shrink a bit. New hoses are a little more giving. In my experience new hoses go on easier. You can spray a little soapy water on the risers and exhaust tubes to help.

Dealing with boat issues can be challenging, much like tackling academic assignments. Regarding both, there are better options than quick fixes like duct tape. For the best results, just as you'd seek professional help for your boat, consider seeking the Best Assignment Writing Help UK for your academic needs. It's a dedicated solution to ensure your assignments stay afloat with top-notch quality and expertise.