Default 2012 22V has a slow leak

Just picked up a new to me Launch 22V. To the boat out on a test drive before purchasing. Yesterday took the boat and anchored out for a few hours. About every hour the bildge pump would turn on to empty the water out. I’ve never owned a wake boat so maybe it normal for these to take on water. But I feel like that isn’t the case. Where so I look to check for leaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by abishoff View Post
    Just picked up a new to me Launch 22V. To the boat out on a test drive before purchasing. Yesterday took the boat and anchored out for a few hours. About every hour the bildge pump would turn on to empty the water out. I’ve never owned a wake boat so maybe it normal for these to take on water. But I feel like that isn’t the case. Where so I look to check for leaks.

Yes, it is normal. The water is coming in around the driveshaft packing. The water is used to cool the driveshaft while it rotating. If it is pouring in, you may need to replace the packing or tighten up the gland. You may also have water coming in around the rudder port. That's where the rudder shaft goes thru hull. Some boats have o-rings there, others have packing.

Default 2012 22V has a slow leak

Probably your drive shaft.

I would also check your hoses and SS clamps around the motor. Sometimes it’s easier to find when the boat is under load. Have someone drive as you look in the engine compartment or by looking under the motor from a back locker.

Ballast fittings are also known to leak - quick fitting or the fittings that screw into the bag. But it sounds like you are not running ballast.

2018 Supra SL400

I'm not sure if Supra changed the propeller shaft seal between your model boat and mine. My boat, a 2007 Supra, has water coming off of the engine and fills the seal / cover around the shaft. Next time you are on the lake, stop and remove the back seat so you can see the transmission and V-drive. Kick everybody off the boat, and turn the stereo off, and listen / feel for water. Mine had 4 hose clamps and all 4 had failed. At that rate it took about 45 min to an hour before the bilge would come on, but it ran for about 5 min to empty the bilge. After replacing the clamps, no more water running in, or bilge coming on. Because of the design of the system, I still have water in the bilge after a day at the lake, but it drains in a couple of minutes from pulling the rear plug. I hope that helps, as my dealer could never find the leak...it took me listening and feeling for it to find it.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk
    2007 Supra 24 SSV 340 CAT
    Lake Bryan, TX

Quote Originally Posted by rtpaxton2 View Post
    I'm not sure if Supra changed the propeller shaft seal between your model boat and mine. My boat, a 2007 Supra, has water coming off of the engine and fills the seal / cover around the shaft. Next time you are on the lake, stop and remove the back seat so you can see the transmission and V-drive. Kick everybody off the boat, and turn the stereo off, and listen / feel for water. Mine had 4 hose clamps and all 4 had failed. At that rate it took about 45 min to an hour before the bilge would come on, but it ran for about 5 min to empty the bilge. After replacing the clamps, no more water running in, or bilge coming on. Because of the design of the system, I still have water in the bilge after a day at the lake, but it drains in a couple of minutes from pulling the rear plug. I hope that helps, as my dealer could never find the leak...it took me listening and feeling for it to find it.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk
    Sounds like your model has a dripless seal setup.

It was just a freaking hose clamps around the exhaust. So annoying. Gonna switch to t-clamps later on.

Quote Originally Posted by secondsupra2004 View Post
    Sounds like your model has a dripless seal setup.
    I think that is what they call it, but it is by no means "dripless"...LOL
    2007 Supra 24 SSV 340 CAT
    Lake Bryan, TX

Quote Originally Posted by abishoff View Post
    It was just a freaking hose clamps around the exhaust. So annoying. Gonna switch to t-clamps later on.

It happens a lot - thus why I mentioned checking hoses when the boat is under load.

If you do not winterize and de-winterize the boat yourself, there can be hose clamps that are removed to get the raw water out, but never connected or tightened up.

Cool is was an easy fix.
    2018 Supra SL400