Default Carburetor Question From Noob

Hi all. Gas is leaking from the carburetor gasket in my 1990 Conbrio. I don't know much about motors, but my brother asked me to post before I leave work for the day. What's the standard procedure with this issue, a rebuild? Our two options are make an appointment with the service center at the boat store or have a super handy mechanic friend do it. Many thanks in advance for any wisdom. Here's the pertinent info:

PCM Ford Windsor 351 V-8, 240hp, model # PLD-PR-R12/PP, Holley carburetor. Here's some pics. The leak is circled in the first one.

FullSizeR.jpg
    IMG950194.jpg
    IMG950193.jpg
    IMG950191.jpg
    618866186.jpg

That’s an easy fix. Get the numbers from the carb on top near the choke, order a rebuild kit.

To change that out, pull the 4 bolts that hold the float bowl on, you will need a new gasket for that, but comes in the renew kit. Once that’s off you can change the accelerator pump out. That’s what’s leaking. It gives an extra squirt of fuel when you apply throttle. Make sure you take note of how the arm on the pump sits against the throttle linkage. Ask me how I know that one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If that is all that is wrong I would recommend just removing the whole carburetor then you can get access to the 4 screws that hold the accelerator pump on. Try not to turn the carb upside down so you don't disturb any debris inside the float bowls and spill gas all over. If you don't feel comfortable with it have your friend do it . Its a very simple job .

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_289 View Post
    That’s an easy fix. Get the numbers from the carb on top near the choke, order a rebuild kit.

To change that out, pull the 4 bolts that hold the float bowl on, you will need a new gasket for that, but comes in the renew kit. Once that’s off you can change the accelerator pump out. That’s what’s leaking. It gives an extra squirt of fuel when you apply throttle. Make sure you take note of how the arm on the pump sits against the throttle linkage. Ask me how I know that one!
    michael hunter

If that is all that is wrong I would recommend just removing the whole carburetor then you can get access to the 4 screws that hold the accelerator pump on. Try not to turn the carb upside down so you don't disturb any debris inside the float bowls and spill gas all over. If you don't feel comfortable with it have your friend do it . Its a very simple job .
    Thanks Michael and Brian! I was pretty sure it wasn't very hard, but you don't know what you don't know until you've worked through it. Many thanks to both of you. You've helped me immensely simplify the process. Cheers!