Default Adding Ballast to SG 550

Hi folks,

Our family just purchased a new to us 2015 SG 550. So far we love the boat and are trying to set it up for surfing.

So far far our goofy side is pretty good, but the regular side need help.

Right now we have the stock 750's in the back and would like to add bigger bags if we can ( I have 700 in lead already in). One option that I can get locally is fly high 1100's. Are these bags going to help in the short term? Wakemakers can make custom bags but are at least 8 week out!

I saw somewhere that dakota4ce had posted somewhere the dimensions of custom bags. I can't seem to find that thread anywhere.

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsupra View Post
    Hi folks,

Our family just purchased a new to us 2015 SG 550. So far we love the boat and are trying to set it up for surfing.

So far far our goofy side is pretty good, but the regular side need help.

Right now we have the stock 750's in the back and would like to add bigger bags if we can ( I have 700 in lead already in). One option that I can get locally is fly high 1100's. Are these bags going to help in the short term? Wakemakers can make custom bags but are at least 8 week out!

I saw somewhere that dakota4ce had posted somewhere the dimensions of custom bags. I can't seem to find that thread anywhere.

Thanks guys.
    I rode (almost purchased) a 2017 SG with the Wakemaker bag upgrade. I pretty sure they were 1450s - took a little time to fill up and filled up the entire locker and some under the seats. Surf wave was great. Boat also had an upgrade prop.

Heard about the Wakemakers lead time, business must be good.
    2018 Supra SL400

Someone on social media also posted that it's getting harder to buy lead bags. I cannot confirm. Not sure if that was one of the companies or all of them.
    2018 Supra SL400

Yes, the custom bags would be a project over the winter for sure. Just wondering if anyone has tried the 1100's as a short term solution. I'd be happy if I could get 900 or 950 lbs out of them. Getting lead here is not a problem but I already have 700 worth and don't want to add too much more. We have about another month of riding here in Kelowna.

Another option if you can find some used 400# bags, those work under the seats. I've used some stock Supra Gravity III bags from an older Supra with a Tsumni pump on my SL before. Gave me an add'l 400# per side. Around the size of 60x20x8.

Good Luck.
    2018 Supra SL400