Default 97 SUNSPORT Linkage or neutral safety issues

Hi Everyone,
    I've had some issues on startup at times as I have turned the key and nothing happen until i wiggle the throttle in reverse/forward back to neutral position then try the key. I repeat this process until it cranks when I turn the key.

Also sometimes when I put into gear it doesn't react right away I push throttle more forward slowly until finally it kicks into gear. Other times I go to put into reverse and it stays in neutral.

I'm guessing it probably an issues with the throttle linkage, that maybe the barrels are worn out and the cables are out of sync?? The wires around the Neutral Safety Switch seem to be in good shape and clean. I've watched this video on the Morse MV throttle.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KNzQxpAeE4 ..it seems to be an easy process but I'm not sure if this is as easy as it looks or if even my problem. Can anyone help with some advice?

thanks.

I have had to replace the barrels on the back side of the shifter but that was on a 67 correct craft . I would start at the transmission . Remove the cable from the shift lever . Move the lever to neutral then adjust the cable so it slides back on the lever. If you still have trouble then look at the shifter barrels.

Thanks Micheal, I checked all parts everything looks ok and the transmission shifted prefect by hand. The cable length looked good the issue that I found hat is causing the problem is that a previous owner or mechanic rigged up the shift line with zip ties and it seems to be missing a bracket that holds the cable in place near the transmission. Any suggestions on rerouting the cable or where a bracket goes for this cable? I have pics of this also pics of the bracket that holds the throttle cable.

Check with skidim

Well, I have been able to find cables brackets but I dont see a spot to bolt it to on the motor. For the time being Ive used aircraft aluminum wire to twist around the notch and through a hole in the fuse box bracket. It seems to be holding the cable in place perfectly and Ive had zero shifting problems. If anyone gets a chance to snap a photo of where this cable bracket attaches to please post it here for me, I cant seem to find a picture of it on line.