Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Have wake-boats gotten too big?

It's starting to feel like wake-boats have gotten way too big with most of the boats dry weight over 4000 lbs and you need a diesel rig to tow it. I miss the days when wake-boats were a lot smaller and you could tow them anywhere with either a full size S.U.V or a Half Ton truck perfectly fine.
    Last edited by Bret Cole; 09-09-2020 at 11:58 AM.

What are you struggling to tow with a half ton?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bret Cole View Post
    It's starting to feel like wake-boats have gotten way too big with most of the boats dry weight over 4000 lbs and you need a diesel rig to tow it. I miss the days when wake-boats were a lot smaller and you could tow them anywhere with either a full size S.U.V or a Half Ton truck perfectly fine.
    6940 lbs with a half ton. No problem.

2008 Moomba Mobius LSV. Full Exile System. Can you hear me now?

Default Have wake-boats gotten too big?

I pulled 7700# SA\lead with 1/2 ton and it was fine.

I think it all depends on the specs of the truck and where and what you are towing. Limited elevation change and not much cargo a 1/2 ton should be fine. But if you haul a lot of people and gear you start to max the 1/2 ton out. Assuming you have 10k+ of tow capacity that is not an issue. Payload can be the issue. If I have an 8k pound boat and it is weighed properly you have 10-15% of tongue weight (800-1200 lbs). A half ton has around 1700-2000 of payload capacity that leaves about 1000 lbs for people and gear. 4 adults and a couple of coolers is close to max. I ended upgrading the truck when we went to a SL. We occasionally camp with a weeks worth of food, beer, ice and stuff. I was over capacity by a large amount.

I also got a bigger truck when I went to the SL. I wanted the add'l payload, braking, pulling, and the 4x4 so I would not be slipping on the ramp.

I was just talking to my dealer the other day about trailer weight and backing down ramps. We both commented how it's a VERY WEIRD feeling backing down a steep boat ramp (gravel) as your truck slides with with the boat. It happened to both of us last weekend - SL and SE. One of those hang-on moments, then the boat hits the water and truck is able to stop b/c of less weight.
    2018 Supra SL400

Quote Originally Posted by DDNorCal View Post
    I think it all depends on the specs of the truck and where and what you are towing. Limited elevation change and not much cargo a 1/2 ton should be fine. But if you haul a lot of people and gear you start to max the 1/2 ton out. Assuming you have 10k+ of tow capacity that is not an issue. Payload can be the issue. If I have an 8k pound boat and it is weighed properly you have 10-15% of tongue weight (800-1200 lbs). A half ton has around 1700-2000 of payload capacity that leaves about 1000 lbs for people and gear. 4 adults and a couple of coolers is close to max. I ended upgrading the truck when we went to a SL. We occasionally camp with a weeks worth of food, beer, ice and stuff. I was over capacity by a large amount.
    10-15% is usually for enclosed trailers. Boats tend to be less. Mine is 8.75% and I have no sway.

2008 Moomba Mobius LSV. Full Exile System. Can you hear me now?

Today's surf ships are too big, too full of unneeded electronics and needs an engine that could move the titanic just to get out of its own way. Not to mention the tsunami size wave they make to reap hazard to anything in its path. All this comes with a cost that has put most out of the market. So it should be no surprise it needs heavy duty equipment to tow it . A half ton truck is nothing more than a car with a bed unless you modify it . They are made for a soft ride and better fuel mileage not hard core towing. If it doesn't have 8 lug nuts its not a real truck.
    Last edited by michael hunter; 09-11-2020 at 08:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by michael hunter View Post
    Today's surf ships are too big, too full of unneeded electronics and needs an engine that could move the titanic just to get out of its own way. Not to mention the tsunami size wave they make to reap hazard to anything in its path. All this comes with a cost that has put most out of the market. So it should be no surprise it needs heavy duty equipment to tow it . A half ton truck is nothing more than a car with a bed unless you modify it you . They are made for a soft ride and better fuel mileage not hard core towing. If it doesn't have 8 lug nuts its not a real truck.
    Finally! I was wondering if someone was gonna step up and answer the question presented.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Wait, there are now Wake Ships in addition to the Wake Boats?
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski