Question First time Surf boat - 2009 Launch 24 SSV - recommended?

Hey everyone,

I'm looking into a new "old" boat - wanted to get started with wake surfing and came across a used 2009 24 SSV with under 250 hours on it. It's got upgraded ballasts to approx 3500#. Asking approx $45.5k.

What is the consensus on this boat model/year? What about price? It's supposedly in very good condition, but that remains to be seen. Anything I should know about this boat? Or avoid?

Thanks!

Good hull - 24 footer. If it has 3500#, it should surf great.

It's hard to gauge prices nowadays, market is crazy and prices are high. Hard to find that boat around with 250 hours - that is super low.

$36-42K would probably be about right if it has the smaller motor.
    $40-44k with the big block.

I do not know of any 'avoids'.

Good luck.
    2018 Supra SL400

Quote Originally Posted by MJHKnox View Post
    Good hull - 24 footer. If it has 3500#, it should surf great.

It's hard to gauge prices nowadays, market is crazy and prices are high. Hard to find that boat around with 250 hours - that is super low.

$36-42K would probably be about right if it has the smaller motor.
    $40-44k with the big block.

I do not know of any 'avoids'.

Good luck.
    Thanks MJHKnox for chiming in!

It's got the 8.1 engine. That's the stronger one I'm guessing? That a good thing for this boat? How does it deal with choppy water?

Yeah, the market is just insane this year... everyone is buying a boat. I'm almost wondering if I should wait 1 more year and arm myself with patience. It's a seller's market right now.

I'm hoping to upgrade from my Nitro fish and ski boat... mostly a fishing boat really with the outboard.

Quote Originally Posted by vchiline View Post

It's got the 8.1 engine. That's the stronger one I'm guessing? That a good thing for this boat? How does it deal with choppy water?

Yeah, the market is just insane this year... everyone is buying a boat. I'm almost wondering if I should wait 1 more year and arm myself with patience. It's a seller's market right now.

I'm hoping to upgrade from my Nitro fish and ski boat... mostly a fishing boat really with the outboard.
    Can’t go wrong with that big block motor. Low hours a plus. Will need a good suck gate but otherwise, very decent surf wave once set up properly.

These prices kill me though for used boats. I bet next season, when things get back to more normal, market will sort itself with those selling due to buyer’s remorse or having a job to get back to.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Quote Originally Posted by vchiline View Post

Yes, that is the motor you want - they made a small block (350ci/345hp) and big block (496ci/425hp). It should give you plenty of power with the ballast and a surf gate.

For the hull, the handle chop OK. SC is not known to be a deep running boat. Where are you running your boat?

As for riding over surf waves, the older hulls have a little dip in the nose. You need to be careful not to stuff the nose, it's not the end of the world if it happens, but that is why the new boats are deeper for the gigantic surf waves that these boats are producing.

If you keep the motor tuned, change the oil every 50 hours, you should get many hours of that setup.

If the boat is in good shape and if you every wanted to resell, I doubt you would have any issues selling it.
    Last edited by MJHKnox; 09-15-2020 at 08:56 AM.
    2018 Supra SL400