Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Walter V drive rebuild

My boat is coming up on 2,000 hours and I’m rebuilding everything this winter. I’m starting with the V drive. I figured I would document it here in case anyone else gets into this project. The boat is a salt boat with closed cooling, but the bilge did a number on the v drive exterior. Photos attached. It’s getting washed tomorrow and then sand blasted. So far I did all of this with a needle scaler. I didn’t take pictures after I tore it apart but I will update later.

I’m calling Walter tomorrow to order everything. All gaskets, seals, bearings, hoses, and a good bit of hardware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wowza . . . what are you using to refinish the outside and try to keep the rust away?

Will it still be a saltwater boat?

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

Quote Originally Posted by MJHKnox View Post
    Wowza . . . what are you using to refinish the outside and try to keep the rust away?

Will it still be a saltwater boat?

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    No, she’s now a fresh water only boat!! I’m sandblasting all of the exterior parts and having them powder coated. I called Walter today and the rebuild kit is only 480 for all the bearings and gaskets. Sure beats 5 grand for a new one. After this I’m diving into the ZF trans and doing a full rebuild on the engine, every sensor, and electrical component on the engine is getting replaced, and quite possibly the wiring harness. Salt water is tough on these things. I bought the cheapest v drive Supra in the country this summer expecting a project. This sure is a project, I’m just glad I got to run three tanks through it over the summer. Next year is going to be awesome!

At the powder coat guy now. I can’t wait to see it all back together.

Sounds like you are doing it right. Good for you.

After looking at saltwater boats, you are a brave man. That crap gets into and on everything.

2018 Supra SL400

Quote Originally Posted by MJHKnox View Post
    Sounds like you are doing it right. Good for you.

After looking at saltwater boats, you are a brave man. That crap gets into and on everything.

I wasn’t worried because it has fresh water cooling. I knew it needed manifolds when I bought it. This was unexpected.

Powder coat guy sent me this today. Can’t wait to see it in person and then get it reassembled.

I have it loosely assembled. Waiting on gasket and seal set. I didn’t want to forget how it went together so I partially reassembled it for now.

Plenty more to go after this project. (My tower is off so the boat fits in the garage)

Almost finished!