Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Supra SE, new to brand, opinions welcome

Hello everyone, looking at the Supra brand and I think I am going this direction. Looking at the SE 450 (I'm low elevation) and I am debating a couple of things. Recently visited my local dealer and to my surprise can get a new SE 450 with every single option including stern thrusters and after tax at 153 (143 pre tax. This seems like a pretty good deal to me but I was unsure if MSRP vs. true price was a sales tactic used by all dealers. MSRP of the boat was 180,980 and boat + options pre tax is 143,675.

1) I drove boat with stern thrusters and on one hand seems gimmicky but on other hand it is a busy lake and does seem like it helps quite a bit especially when docking in chop or picking people up. $8500 option.

2) Any other win buying new vs. used? I am struggling to find a reason to buy new, the used boat actually has a longer warranty because they purchased a 7 year.

3) Probably a hot topic but if I bought new any better way to save on tax by buying in another state? How would the state even know that the boat lives in one state or another?

4) Best option for boat financing?
    Last edited by DDD123; 09-20-2020 at 09:36 PM.

Sounds like you are getting a smoking deal on a new SE. guessing you are getting about 25% off MSRP? What is your MSRP?

You will get more response if you jump over to the moomba forum, majority of newer Supra owners are over there.

Tax is paid in the state in which you register boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Larry Arizona; 09-20-2020 at 05:20 PM.

If I’m not mistaken, even if you buy out of state, the dealer is required to file the taxes based on where you live. State and county.

I purchased mine from Atlanta Marine (which I don’t recommend) and have my main house in Cobb county, therefore 6% was added for sales tax.
    Saved myself 1% over the county the boats reside in which is 7%.

Here is the deal for GA property tax. When you register with the GA DNR, you will have to show them a bill of sale and verify which county the boat will reside in for more than 180 days a year. Then, the DNR will forward info on to the local county tax assessor’s office and you will receive a form every January that you have to fill out by April 1st. If the value is over $6500.00 for one boat, you will pay a property tax using your county millage rate based on current boat value.
    They will send you their determined value in May/ June (if you don’t fill out the form, you cannot file an appeal) to let you know what you will owe in December when all property taxes are due.

So for me, property taxes rates are cheaper in the county where my lake house is so all my boats are “registered” there. Three of the five are still above the $6500 rate. This year, the county tax assessment was lower than the information I provided to them on said form.
    I believe I will pay an additional $550 for my 3 vessels this year where the combined total value is still less than half of what your new boat may cost.

Another option for this size purchase is to move to TN...no wealth tax and no state income tax.

Best of luck!
    Last edited by Mischief IV; 09-20-2020 at 10:46 PM.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

I forgot, if you reside in GA, try Georgia’s Own Credit Union for a boat loan. They had the best rate when I bought 4 years ago. Great company to deal with.

1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Quote Originally Posted by DDD123 View Post

1) I drove boat with stern thrusters and on one hand seems gimmicky but on other hand it is a busy lake and does seem like it helps quite a bit especially when docking in chop or picking people up. $8500 option.
    Not many reviews yet on the thrusters. I think SC was going to create a video for them. SE is a big boat, I could see it being useful around docks. I'm sure people who have been driving inboard boats for years will not want it.
    2018 Supra SL400

Quote Originally Posted by MJHKnox View Post
    I'm sure people who have been driving inboard boats for years will not want it.
    This!

Something else to fix.

1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Quote Originally Posted by Mischief IV View Post
    If I’m not mistaken, even if you buy out of state, the dealer is required to file the taxes based on where you live. State and county.

I purchased mine from Atlanta Marine (which I don’t recommend) and have my main house in Cobb county, therefore 6% was added for sales tax.
    Saved myself 1% over the county the boats reside in which is 7%.

Here is the deal for GA property tax. When you register with the GA DNR, you will have to show them a bill of sale and verify which county the boat will reside in for more than 180 days a year. Then, the DNR will forward info on to the local county tax assessor’s office and you will receive a form every January that you have to fill out by April 1st. If the value is over $6500.00 for one boat, you will pay a property tax using your county millage rate based on current boat value.
    They will send you their determined value in May/ June (if you don’t fill out the form, you cannot file an appeal) to let you know what you will owe in December when all property taxes are due.

So for me, property taxes rates are cheaper in the county where my lake house is so all my boats are “registered” there. Three of the five are still above the $6500 rate. This year, the county tax assessment was lower than the information I provided to them on said form.
    I believe I will pay an additional $550 for my 3 vessels this year where the combined total value is still less than half of what your new boat may cost.

Another option for this size purchase is to move to TN...no wealth tax and no state income tax.

Best of luck!
    Really curious of your Atlanta Marine story, I PM’d you.

Curious. Why are new Supra owners on the Moomba site?

Quote Originally Posted by Miahhough View Post
    Because the Supra forum is stuck in the 80-90’s......lol

But seriously, the Supra forum is focused on restoration of the early years Supra direct drives.

Moomba forum just more geared to the modern surf boats from Skiers Choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Miahhough View Post
    Because all the new Supra owners that come on here, get told to go there 'immediately' by guys with new Supras because the boats are basically the same in look and feel to a Moomba. Also, the guys with the new Supras tend to be guys that did not grow up with a Supra so there is no brand loyalty or love for the classics. I'd be willing to bet that most newer Supra owners can't even slalom ski or two ski for that matter or even to pretend to like carpet...smh.

However, classic Supras are still relevant and beloved by many and being that there is no such thing as a classic Moomba, at least this forum still serves a useful purpose if you are looking to restore or maintain an older generation boat.

1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242