Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default 06 launch 21v restoration

I picked up a high hour salt water boat this year to restore. I wanted a v drive in the worst way and got the cheapest one in the country. Here is the before:

I got it home and dug right in. Needed the heads rebuilt and manifolds put on before it would even run. More pics in next post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got it running, put about 150 gallons of gas through it. Every tank of gas pretty much consumed an oil change.

The interior was shot, so I tackled that on a rainy weekend. Well most of it.

I even got to learn to surf behind it. You can see the plumes of oil smoke in the surf photo

So now the season is over, I have the engine out and apart currently at the machine shop, waiting on transmission parts to rebuild that and my v drive is almost back together, waiting on gaskets and seals for that.

And today’s project, strip the boat! It’s going to a friends detail shop for a full interior and exterior buff and ceramic coat.

The windshield frame paint was flaking from living in salt. This was one thing that scared me as I did it.. I know the glass is obsolete so I was terrified here. The frame is all apart, everything is bagged and labeled well. Frame goes to get stripped and painted this week and I can get it back together. I put the glass in the safest place I could think of.

I’ll post more once parts start coming back and the boat is back from detail. Figured I would get this started. It will be a brand new 2006 with 2000 hours on the hull and zero on the drivetrain. Next summer is going to be awesome.

That's a lot of work to get done in one year . You brought a new meaning to the word motivated . How did it go from blue to black and orange?

Quote Originally Posted by michael hunter View Post
    That's a lot of work to get done in one year . You brought a new meaning to the word motivated . How did it go from blue to black and orange?
    The gelcoat was that chalky and faded. I wet sanded and buffed the exterior and was in shock to learn it was black. It was listed as orange blue and white in the for sale listing.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_289 View Post
    The gelcoat was that chalky and faded. I wet sanded and buffed the exterior and was in shock to learn it was black. It was listed as orange blue and white in the for sale listing.
    HELL YEAH, I remember this boat being advertised on Craigslist for a long time. I think it was priced in the mid teens if my memory serves me correct. Another forum member on here wanted to buy it and offered the seller $8k. I told him the seller should be giving you 8 grand after you sink it for him and split the proceeds.
    Instead of it saying HELL YEAH on the side, it would be more apropos if it said HELL NO and ultimately advised him to walk away. I said if you buy it, expect nothing but work, work and more work. It seems that prediction was correct but I never would have thought that it was a black boat from the pics I saw. Let's hope the wife did not want a blue boat.

On a positive note, what you have done is incredible and I applaud you. Learning to surf behind it has to be the icing on the cake. Great job!

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Quote Originally Posted by Mischief IV View Post
    HELL YEAH, I remember this boat being advertised on Craigslist for a long time. I think it was priced in the mid teens if my memory serves me correct. Another forum member on here wanted to buy it and offered the seller $8k. I told him the seller should be giving you 8 grand after you sink it for him and split the proceeds.
    Instead of it saying HELL YEAH on the side, it would be more apropos if it said HELL NO and ultimately advised him to walk away. I said if you buy it, expect nothing but work, work and more work. It seems that prediction was correct but I never would have thought that it was a black boat from the pics I saw. Let's hope the wife did not want a blue boat.

On a positive note, what you have done is incredible and I applaud you. Learning to surf behind it has to be the icing on the cake. Great job!
    I offered 10 and got it for 11, then paid 1500 to ship it from FL to PA. I’ll be dumping about 4500 into it total. So I’ll have 17k in it doing 90% of the work myself. And yes learning to surf behind it was the highlight of my summer. I’m just pumped to have a “brand new boat” for next summer. I only ever had sterndrive boats before this. I could never go back!