Default Strut alignment and dripless shaft seal Qs--08 Supra Launch

Greetings! First time boat owner here with an 08 Launch 22SSV. Lurked forums before we bought boat. Now working on it and have some questions.

A) The dripless shaft seal was leaking pretty badly. I just finished removing it today. Can anyone tell me what brand it is? Regardless, I don't think I will rebuild it. I like the idea of the Glide GMSS with the spare seal pre-installed. What would you recommend alternatively? I need to get some parts ordered soon.

B) While I have shaft seal out, I looked at shaft-to-log alignment and it is not correct. Shaft contacts right/driver's/starboard side of log. Clearance on top and bottom is equal. Strut bearings look good externally (haven't pulled shaft). They have equal looking gaps/bumps all around, both front and back. When I spin prop (couplers not connected during seal fix) the gap at log doesn't seem to change, so I'm taking that as shaft is straight. It doesn't take much force to flex shaft away from contact and I am sure when couplers were bolted up, it wasn't rubbing. BUT, since I am fixing things, I plan to take care of this, too.

Do I fully remove shaft, pull strut, clean up goo and remount it straight with fresh goo? Is that all there is to it?

I see many (?) threads about bent struts, but haven't run across any that describe how to measure that. Guide me, please.

C) Can't decide if it is worth it to pull the Walter v-drive out. It's a little leaky and I understand the lower pans need to be sealed up occasionally. I'm only 6 nuts and a couple hoses away from making this happen, unless it's not worth it. Doesn't leak that much.

D) Looking at shaft where the shaft seal rides, it is smooth, but wavy. Like the old, mis-aligned seal unit rubbed a circumferential groove in it as shaft rotated. How much of this is tolerable? Is there a repair or is it shaft replacement?

Looking forward to hearing your responses. Thank you--Jef
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 2wheelsrbest; 10-11-2020 at 12:38 PM. Reason: added issue D

Well, here's the good news...

I've learned LOTS the past couple weeks. My project has gone from seal replacement to propshaft removal to strut removal and realignment. There are a few good walk-throughs on shaft seal replacement, but almost ZERO on working with the strut and realigning the back half of the drivetrain. I've taken a bunch of pictures and intend to write up a comprehensive How-To to save the next guy a TON of time. I will try to get this done over the winter.

I don’t have the drip less but when I changed my seal out I noticed my shaft was out of alignment. Now the best way I can describe this is when the shaft is perfectly centered then the engine and v-drive are adjusted to the shaft. Had to adjust the vertical and move the engine slightly. Not a big deal but you want to make sure the gap check is good at the flange. I don’t think the factory did a good job with these during assembly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you recall what kind of shaft seal you had shown in the pictures?