Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by h2o-ski View Post
    Hey MySupra,

Looks like the forum downsized the image and is too blurry to read. Going to PM you my email to see if email is any better.

h20-ski:

I sent the 1990 Manual and undated PCM service manual to your email address.

MySupra

Quote Originally Posted by MySupra View Post
    h20-ski:

I sent the 1990 Manual and undated PCM service manual to your email address.

MySupra
    Email has been received. Much appreciated. I have since found a few service manuals and such but not a lot of good schematics

Update time

Thanks to the wiring diagrams and a little luck. I got the SBC running. Considering the amount of rust in two cylinders it runs pretty good, though one cylinder is down on compression. A local repair shop does have a reman in stock that he is willing to give me a good deal on in case this one doesn't hold.

I got the engine in the boat but I am struggling getting the engine aligned with the prop shaft. Doesn't help that the rubber bushings are a little tight.

Also does anyone have a source for where I can find a replacement rub rail insert? All I seem to find is from Taco and their inserts are different shapes than what I have.
    Last edited by h2o-ski; 12-14-2022 at 01:04 PM.

I had another go at the alignment. Not sure what I was thinking before but I had everything reversed. The trans mounts were topped out and the engine mounts were bottomed out.

Now that I got the mounts fixed, I just have to get the crankshaft axis and prop shaft inline.

Engine is aligned . I got a few goodies for Christmas, namely fuel pump, relays and some other bits and pieces. I have been working on wiring. The old wiring had strange routing and some of my modifications obsoleted other parts.

I got most of the front floor and stringers repaired. Just waiting for some warmer weather to finish putting the repairs to bed.

The struggles right now are how can I route the trans cooler. The lines are not that long and my plan is to have the cooler post sea strainer. I may end up buying longer lines to run to the cooler towards the front of the engine. I also broke my throttle cable trying to get the rusted end off. Hopefully there is still enough thread at the end to work.

Coming along nicely...looking good. Engine back in is a big step. If they're 40 year old hoses, may want to replace anyways. My 2 cents.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Quote Originally Posted by Mischief IV View Post
    Coming along nicely...looking good. Engine back in is a big step. If they're 40 year old hoses, may want to replace anyways. My 2 cents.
    Indeed, I found some 42" hoses on SkiDIM that would work perfectly to get the cooler in front of the engine and below the trans oil sump. According to the Borg-Warner service manual the cooler is supposed to be at sump level to prevent drain back.

Here we are 3 months later and the saying is true the last 10% takes 90% of the time. It also did not help that the weather was not very conducive to working. I got the bow floor repaired and looking good as the 1st time. Engine is wired and cooling hoses plumbed. I'm not happy about the number of fittings it took to get the hoses to where they need to be, but it will work.

I did have to make some more modifications to the stringers and floor The stringers were too tall to slide the gas tank into place; so I had to cut them down and reglass the exposed wood. Also the exhaust hose could not make a tight enough bend to get to the riser so I had to grind down the floor.

I also found a place that will custom make some hydraulic hoses much cheaper than skidim's available stock. With the trans cooler relocated to the front of the engine, I need 49" lines to make the run.

Hopefully in the next month phase 1 of the rebuild will be complete and I get to enjoy the summer with the boat on the water.

After 30 year out of the water, the boat finally left the trailer. She is not the bell of the ball yet, but at least she is on the water. It was a good shake down outing and helped identify some minor issues. I need to learn how to tune a carb, stumbles and surges when it gets into the secondaries and also definitely running rich. Also need to check over the cooling system, just some tweaks to stop some leaks and improve flow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats! That's dedication. Hope you and your family get to use it quite a bit this summer once all the bugs are worked out.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242