Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Well 2nd shakedown run ended on the boat ramp. Starter went out, so Amazon to the rescue; new marine starter came in 2 days later and now starts even quicker. Not sure how that is even possible. You so much as breathe on the key and she starts up.

3rd run was a success. Only issue was the 35 year old alternator belt came apart a quarter of a mile from the ramp. The wake on this old boat is amazing for that old of a boat and it tracks like it is on rails.

Another set back. The trailer does not have a vin that I can find anywhere on the trailer. So I went to the sheriff to start the process of getting the trailer registered as a homemade trailer. The only problem is that the officer that did an inspection said that the trailer looked manufactured and since I did not have photos to prove that it was homemade, would not issue a homemade trailer vin.

As a last resort, I contacted SMP trailers and gave them a serial number I found but they were unable to find anything. So now I am in search of a trailer in the area that I can modify to fit. I am looking at Magnum trailer that was holding a Glastron I/O. I know that I will have to clearance for the prop and tracking fins, but the price is decent and the trailer does not look too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by h2o-ski View Post
    Another set back. The trailer does not have a vin that I can find anywhere on the trailer. So I went to the sheriff to start the process of getting the trailer registered as a homemade trailer. The only problem is that the officer that did an inspection said that the trailer looked manufactured and since I did not have photos to prove that it was homemade, would not issue a homemade trailer vin.

As a last resort, I contacted SMP trailers and gave them a serial number I found but they were unable to find anything. So now I am in search of a trailer in the area that I can modify to fit. I am looking at Magnum trailer that was holding a Glastron I/O. I know that I will have to clearance for the prop and tracking fins, but the price is decent and the trailer does not look too bad.
    This make absolutely no sense to me. No trailer that I am aware of has a VIN number. Serial number yes, VIN no. These were sold on a MSO only.
    I have two trailers with original paperwork. It clearly states serial number and that is why I am finding it hard to believe Texas would need to have a VIN number for a trailer. I own seven trailers and every single one can be registered with just the serial number in Georgia. Simple photo or document is all they need at the DMV. Sounds like Texas is making it extra difficult for you. You sure you need a VIN? These ARE NOT cars with motors and trannies.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/buyi...hicle/trailers
    https://goneoutdoors.com/register-bo...s-6956516.html

Not finding anything in Texas about a VIN. Needs title if over 4000 pounds but SMP trailers weight 950 # as stated on MCO. With the boat you're still under 4k pounds. Boats were 2850 to 3000 pounds depending on year.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Texas got a lot more stringent on boat and trailer registration since Hurricane Ike. There was a lot of people that were claiming abandoned and lost boats and trailers. It used to be a lot easier to register trailers and they did not need a vin.

The serials that you have on your trailers would suffice to get the trailer registered, but I have none of that.

I took the trailer to another agency for a second opinion and they agreed that it is "homemade". So now I am just going through the process of getting a vin assigned. Reading through the 1st agency notes, I could still have applied for a homemade vin, just may have had more eyes on it. I have the paper work filled out to be 4500 GVWR. The trailer I have tipped the scales at 1060lbs so that gives me 3400lbs to play with. I do plan on extending the tongue, replacing the steps and a few other odds and ends so that will eat into the carrying capacity but I should have enough head room.