Default 1990 Pirata Trailer Brake System Overhaul

Does anyone know who manufactured the trailers back in the late 80's and early 90's? Or what size drums and bolt pattern came equipped on a 1990 Pirata trailer?

I want to overhaul the brake system, but I don't know what parts to get. The trailer has 4 hydraulic drum brakes with hydraulic hitch actuator. Currently nothing works. I want to replace the actuator, hubs, and brake assemblies. I was looking at all the options available on E-trailer and realized that I don't know what I have.
    Rick Ludtke
    1990 Supra Pirata
    1987 Supra Comp TS6M
    Photo Album https://forum.supraboats.com/album.php?albumid=4

rludtke:

My trailer was overhauled last year. It is the original trailer sold with my 1990 SunSport. Yours may be similar. The attached photos have all the info I have on it. (Note the invoice excerpt has part numbers for the replacement actuator they used.)

Also, Mischief IV, what program do you use to attach your large, beautiful photos?

Thanks,
    MySupra
    IMG_8784.jpgIMG_8816.jpgIMG_8783.jpgIMG_8781.jpgIMG_2245.jpg

One more photo:
    IMG_2246.jpg

Original Supra trailers were made by a company called SMP (Sweetwater Metal Products) There really is no information on them.
    What you have on your trailer is pretty standard still today but yes, you will have to figure out what size you have. Most of my SMP trailers have 14 inch rims from factory with 5 lug, 4.5 bolt circle diameter. Tires are ST205/75R-14

Your bearings and races should have numbers on them once you take them out and clean. Just replace with identical.
    Here is information off my '83 SMP trailer.
    Inner Bearing number - L68149 $9.99 @ Northern

Inner Race number - 68111 $7.69 Napa Auto Parts

Outer Bearing number - L44649 $12.99 O’Reilly Auto Parts

Outer Race number - L44610 $5.99 @ O’Reilly Auto Parts

Grease seal - National #473317 $14.99 O’Reilly Auto Parts
    Inner Diameter, 1.687”
    Outer Diameter, 2.325”

As far as brakes, measure to find the match on eTrailer. If it were me and I were redoing it all, I'd get rid of the hydraulic and go with electric brakes. If you're just replacing a few parts, then stick with it.

MySupra, I use IMGUR.COM for pics. Get you a free account, upload pics, copy and paste the BB Code (message boards & forums) Easy peasy, thick and cheesy.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Sorry to hijack, Rludtke, but thanks, Mischief IV, Imgur.com worked:

Last edited by MySupra; 03-12-2024 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MySupra View Post
    Sorry to hijack, Rludtke, but thanks, Mischief IV, Imgur.com worked:
    Yup, so much better isn't it? Shame the forum can't load pics like this. I guess nowadays there is no reason to update old tech being only 3 of us post here. What a shame everyone had to jump ship to Facebook.

Boat looks awesome, gonna have to make the trailer match now.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Damn your boats look sweet, thanks guys!

Mischief IV, did I see your boat on YouTube? Did it have the striped interior? It looks sharp now!

MySupra, did you replace your wave stripes? They sure look good. I am guessing that my boat will polish to be the same color blue as yours. I sure hope I can achieve your luster. I need to learn how to recreate the stipes and the wave.

20240309_205030961_iOS.jpg
    Rick Ludtke
    1990 Supra Pirata
    1987 Supra Comp TS6M
    Photo Album https://forum.supraboats.com/album.php?albumid=4

Rludtke:

Yes, I replaced my wave decals. I purchased them from Halledc on ebay. Search Supra wave on ebay and you will find him. He worked with me to precisely match the size. He used to post here as well.

Your boat and mine are very similar. You might consider taking a look at a contest I ran on this board in October 2022. General Chat > Contest:Winner! There I listed over 30 mods I made to my 1990 SunSport, including some analysis of each mod and where to purchase it. This sticker is one of them.

I am still hurt that Mischief IV did not participate in the contest. I carry that pain with me every day.

MySupra