Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Here are some pictures of the cap repair. There was far more repair work on where the cap and the storage locker meet but due to how I have the cap supported I can't get a good picture of it.

Putting a straight edge on the ground areas on top shows that I can most likely get another larger layer of 1708.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by h2o-ski; 03-01-2022 at 12:00 PM.

Well onto set back #164 (exaggerating but not by much). I noticed that the base for the pylon was still flaking off after I got it to bare metal before I painted it. After further inspection, I'm afraid the walls of the steel tube are going to be too thin.

Additionally the aluminum plyon itself was bulging more than when I painted the base. I was able to push a screwdriver into the bulge and remove aluminum. Looks like the galvanic corrosion introduced iron into the lattice structure of the sinning l aluminum.

Lucky I have a family member who is a professional welder and other friends who have a lathe. I'm going to try to make my own plyon and base.

Quote Originally Posted by h2o-ski View Post
    Well onto set back #164 (exaggerating but not by much). I noticed that the base for the pylon was still flaking off after I got it to bare metal before I painted it. After further inspection, I'm afraid the walls of the steel tube are going to be too thin.

Additionally the aluminum plyon itself was bulging more than when I painted the base. I was able to push a screwdriver into the bulge and remove aluminum. Looks like the galvanic corrosion introduced iron into the lattice structure of the sinning l aluminum.

Lucky I have a family member who is a professional welder and other friends who have a lathe. I'm going to try to make my own plyon and base.
    Sent you PM. You have options.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Progress has been slow but still making it. I got the exhaust hose in and setup.

A family event put me in the general area of the legendary Mischief. So it was decided we should perform a structural test on a corroded plyon. After 2 dead batteries and some hand sawing, we separated the 2 parts. I'm happy to report that even with corrosion on the plyon it is structurally sound. I wish I could have stayed longer but we had to high tail it back to Texas.

There are some slight differences between the assembly of my '81 and the '83 beast but nothing a hammer and an angle grinder couldn't fix. I also took the angle grinder to the original assembly to see what lies beneath. I've read that ammonia will dissolve rust so I'm going to try that to see if I can get the pylon free.

Pleasure to have met h2o-ski and family. Sorry it took so long to get pylon cut. Disappointed in my Rigid batteries but that was some thick aluminum. Didn't have much hope the the hand saws would work either but gave us a good work out.

Heading back up to lake house in a few days so I will look at the other parts boats and see if we can make this easier for you. This is too much work for a pylon and bracket. Gotta have something that is plug and play cause your kids want the boat back together sooner than later.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Progress is picking up. I cut up my old pylon assembly to free the original pylon and also to use the sides for backers for the new assembly. I also picked up most of the plywood flooring and started measuring the flooring.

Status update: 3/4" BCX plywood hurt the pocketbook at $70 a sheet, but progress must continue. 90% of the flooring has been cut to size. I just have the area under the helmet to cut.

I took 800 grit sandpaper and made the pylon start to shine. I cut the bottom of the pylon assembly and will trying to use a press to remove the bad pylon.

I put the cap on one last time to make sure everything is at the correct height. For the most part it is dead on. There in only one area where I need to shim the floor up 1/8".

I was able to beat the corroded pylon out. Funny thing is that the part in the assembly had very little corrosion but the part above it was really bad. Once I cleaned the inside of the tube, my original pylon slipped in perfectly.

With the kids of on summer break, I've been able to put some serious work done.

The deck has had the corners rounded over and a coat of resin on all sides. I also got the battery access cut. Not my best work but a layer of gelcoat and seadek and it will blend in. Then I got the deck glued down to the stringers. Now to fill the gaps and put some CSM down.

Work continues. Got the flooring faired and just have to sand a few spots smooth. I got the bilge and pylon holes cut. With all this recent progress I feel like I am actually working on a boat and not a fiberglass bath tub.

As I plan my next steps and purchases, there are 4 vents in the stern. I know 1 goes to the blower but where do the other 3 go? Rodents removed them before I picked the boat up.