Thread: Oil change

Hybrid View

Default Oil change

Bought a 2012 Sunsport 22V this year. Had an older inboard for a number of years and always did my own service but wanted to take it to the dealer to have it winterized and get the oil changed just so I didn't screw something up. Winterize engine is $180, winterize ballast is $75, oil change is $225!! Guy said it is so much because it uses a "special oil". Just looked at the Indmar website and it says to use Penzoil Marine 15W40, which is only $25/gallon. Why on earth would it cost $225 for an oil change? Filter can't cost much. Is it a bitch to get to or something? Please tell me because I already had a bad experience in the selection oil filter for 5.9 cummins

Think I might just do it myself afterall. I use synthetic in all my other stuff. Anyone have a synthetic they would recommend?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tonny1 View Post
    Bought a 2012 Sunsport 22V this year. Had an older inboard for a number of years and always did my own service but wanted to take it to the dealer to have it winterized and get the oil changed just so I didn't screw something up. Winterize engine is $180, winterize ballast is $75, oil change is $225!! Guy said it is so much because it uses a "special oil". Just looked at the Indmar website and it says to use Penzoil Marine 15W40, which is only $25/gallon. Why on earth would it cost $225 for an oil change? Filter can't cost much. Is it a bitch to get to or something? Please tell me because I already had a bad experience in the selection oil filter for 5.9 cummins

Think I might just do it myself afterall. I use synthetic in all my other stuff. Anyone have a synthetic they would recommend?

Thanks
    I don't use Pennzoil and partial to Shell Rotella 15W-40
    Engine has the hose tied to oil pan which makes for easy extraction. Check to see if you have that option.

I have the Indmar Chevy 350 and use INDMAR 872023 Oil Filter.
    My filter sits above the engine remotely so its very easy to get to. $13.73 currently at marinepartssource.com or try skidim.com if you prefer.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Quote Originally Posted by Tonny1 View Post

Thanks
    That is what wake boat dealers charge for service. Nothing is cheap on these boats. You have basically three options:
    1) Pay a local Dealer (highest cost)
    2) Pay a Boat Mechanic that might work at a place like a Marina (middle cost)
    3) Do you yourself (lowest cost)

For the special oil, I have no idea what the dealer is talking about. Around 2012, there were probably 3 motors in the Supra boats - 330, 345, and 6.0(L96).
    All GM blocks
    All use the same motor oil.
    Different filter on the 6.0. The 330/345 should be the same.
    Different oil capacity for each motor.

Sticker on the boat and manuals will say Pennzoil. I think that was discontinued a few years back. On the GM blocks you will hear people using:
    Mobil 1
    Mobil Delvac
    Shell Rotella
    Chevron Delo
    etc

I do not think Indmar recommended using Semi-Syn or Full-Syn on this motors. During a break-in period that would probably be bad, but once the motor is broken-in it probably would not hurt anything. That would be an Indmar question.

Many brands for oil filters too. I used Mobil 1 and Wix on mine. There are threads on this forum and the Moomba Forum with cross-reference numbers.

Your manual should show the pics of what @MichiefIV is talking about - remote filter and the drain tube from the bottom of the motor.
    Check to see if you have the Oil/Air Separator. I think that was optional on a 345 motor. I have never seen one or had to deal with one.

Very easy process to change the oil once you have the oil extractor. Try searching the threads on here:

https://forum.supraboats.com/showthr...619-Oil-change

https://forum.supraboats.com/showthr...or-maintenance
    2018 Supra SL400

There are also threads on here and videos on YouTube about how to Winterize the:
    GM Blocks
    V-Drive
    Water Pump Impeller
    Deal with Ballast Bags and/or Hard-Tanks
    Ballast Pumps and Impellers
    Heaters
    Fuel Stabilizer
    Batteries
    Deal with Winter Moisture
    etc.

Pretty easy once you do it the first time, but be careful. Bad things happen when this is not done right.

ttps://forum.supraboats.com/showthre...Post-with-Pics
    2018 Supra SL400

Good luck. Post questions if you have them.
    2018 Supra SL400

Mobil 1 15w50 in all my boats 5w30 in the cars

Quote Originally Posted by blackbolt22 View Post
    I’ve had my bike for about one year (2019)never really drove it got it due to being deployed and whatnot and now I’m home using it from home to the station. I only have 310 miles on it (never done an oil change it sat for almost a year if not more) needs an oil change my only question is do I do a whole oil spinner and screen oil change or just drop the oil.
    Oil unlike a banana oil doesn't go bad by sitting. I would read the owners manual and follow the maintenance guide in it.

Bike and Miles on It . . . . must be a new product and production line for 2022.
    2018 Supra SL400