Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

One would assume if you have 25% more GPM, the lines would need to be 25% larger. I still think you will need to keep an eye if you see continuous water off the side of the boat.

I see what MLA is saying on the flow - but with all the variables, who knows the breaking point of a bag vs a connection pops off if you cross the line when the Out Flow Vent Pressure cannot keeping up with the In Flow Pump pressure. I do not read about many people busting bags or ports with Jabsco Pumps and the smaller 1" or 1-1/8" with 3/4" or 1" vent lines.

Timers should auto-shutoff the bags and not leave the pumps in the state of fill or empty. I did not have timers on mine, so if someone bumped the switch, I was the only person looking or would notice water shooting off the side of the boat.

On the opposite side, I noticed several times w/o ballast as we cruised down the lake and the a pump was switched to DRAIN by accident. You can hear the pump buzzing/growling when there is no water in the bags. Timers should auto-shutoff the bags and not leave the pumps in the state of fill or empty. Those bigger pumps will make a big noise difference if they were pumping water vs no water to pump.

From Wakemakers:
    Jabsco Pumps: 10.6 GPM. 1000# sack fills at 88#/min or 11.3 mins
    Talulah Pumps: 13.5 GPM. 1000# sack fills at 110#/min or 4 mins
    The GPM flow is increased by appx 25%
    Last edited by MJHKnox; 02-05-2021 at 03:12 PM.
    2018 Supra SL400

From Wakemakers:
    Jabsco Pumps: 10.6 GPM. 1000# sack fills at 88#/min or 11.3 mins
    Talulah Pumps: 13.5 GPM. 1000# sack fills at 110#/min or 4 mins
    The GPM flow is increased by appx 25%
    Except, neither of these pumps are the pump being used. he's using the 30 GPM Hi-Flow, so roughly 3X the flow rate of those two.

Standard Talulah Pumps: 13.5 GPM. 1000# sack fills at 110#/min or 9 mins
    Thats better
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

Quote Originally Posted by Wylietunes View Post
    Except, neither of these pumps are the pump being used. he's using the 30 GPM Hi-Flow, so roughly 3X the flow rate of those two.

Thats better
    Thanks MLA. I was looking at the other Johnson pump. Wrong one.

Still amazed at the output of that thing.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

Didn't know how many of those pumps had some type of 'run dry protection'.

Never really paid attention to it.

Last edited by MJHKnox; 02-07-2021 at 09:59 PM.
    2018 Supra SL400

That's the add for the pump, but it has a warning on the box not to run it dry. There are no instructions provided, other than what's printed on the box. My impression is that running dry will damage the impeller, but the motor will protect itself after the impeller melts down?!?

If the impeller is spinning dry, it would be probe to cracking. When they start to go bad, the vanes will crack.

2018 Supra SL400

Well, I'm bored stiff. I got the wake plates working great...and I have a fix for the position sensors on the side plates, and I started running those elephant trunk hoses for the new pumps...then the ice storm hit. I have been stepping on the rear upholstery so much that several seams started splitting. So big deal, I ordered fresh marine grade vinyl and was ready to move my work indoors during the immanent ice storm. Trouble is Amazon shut down before they brought my Tenara thread.

Bummer.

I'm one of those types that needs projects to survive, and I was so close to being set up to finish the upholstery...but not going to happen. Could be worse, though. Many here are living in their cars as their homes are heatless with broken pipes. The boat is full of 12 inches of snow (we don't generally GET snow here! The lift has 18 inches of ice grown onto it. Instead of squeak squeak with the waves, it goes crackle crunch. So much for that hope 2021 would be a better year! You can skate on pools and most lakes have frozen over for the first time in my life. I know this sounds like nothing to those up north...we just have no capability for this kind of cold down here. Bad designs, bad planning, bad preparation.

The good news, against the general widespread claims...solar and wind are putting out more than they were prospected to...
    Last edited by CJD; 02-18-2021 at 03:17 PM.

The rear 1/3 of the boat looks like new. The upholstery forward will be a gradual project, though. It's all intact, but looks awful next to the bright new vinyl on the rear hatch covers.

I was all ready to launch for the first of the season to try out the new ballast pumps, but found that the 1-1/2" bag fittings will not fit into the old bags. So now I am on hold waiting delivery of 2 new 1280# sacs from Wakemakers.

I decided to run the mega pumps through a double switch to prevent inadvertently blowing the bags. The accessory switch must be down and the bag switch up before the pumps will work. I figure that way it will take a double mistake to overfill. I had looked at flow meters for the vents and some other ideas...but in the end it was getting just too complicated. KISS is always the best philosophy.

I have not installed the new front pump yet. I got burned out on this project for the season, and will take a few months to decide the best way to install it. In the mean time, the original aerator pump is dedicated to only the front bag. So when the pump kicks in it fills, although slower than the rear bags, and the original vent empty aerator motor will drain the forward sac. It should still fill much faster than it used to, since the little pump no longer has to share 3 bags.

After working with the 1-1/2" ballast hose, all I can say is OMG! This hose is fat and stiff as hell, so you must carefully plan your routes. It only bends about 2-3 degrees per foot, so bending it around corners is out of the question. You must change directions using hard elbows, and only have the gentlest of curves for the hose to bend. Working with the final hose install was the last straw in my current burn out. I am ready to start surfing!

Quote Originally Posted by CJD View Post
    The rear 1/3 of the boat looks like new. The upholstery forward will be a gradual project, though. It's all intact, but looks awful next to the bright new vinyl on the rear hatch covers.

I was all ready to launch for the first of the season to try out the new ballast pumps, but found that the 1-1/2" bag fittings will not fit into the old bags. So now I am on hold waiting delivery of 2 new 1280# sacs from Wakemakers.

I decided to run the mega pumps through a double switch to prevent inadvertently blowing the bags. The accessory switch must be down and the bag switch up before the pumps will work. I figure that way it will take a double mistake to overfill. I had looked at flow meters for the vents and some other ideas...but in the end it was getting just too complicated. KISS is always the best philosophy.

I have not installed the new front pump yet. I got burned out on this project for the season, and will take a few months to decide the best way to install it. In the mean time, the original aerator pump is dedicated to only the front bag. So when the pump kicks in it fills, although slower than the rear bags, and the original vent empty aerator motor will drain the forward sac. It should still fill much faster than it used to, since the little pump no longer has to share 3 bags.

After working with the 1-1/2" ballast hose, all I can say is OMG! This hose is fat and stiff as hell, so you must carefully plan your routes. It only bends about 2-3 degrees per foot, so bending it around corners is out of the question. You must change directions using hard elbows, and only have the gentlest of curves for the hose to bend. Working with the final hose install was the last straw in my current burn out. I am ready to start surfing!
    Pics or it didn't happen.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

47 knot winds right now...you'll have to wait till I get get to the dock!