Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Alright, here are pics of the super pumps installed. I finally got the boat out for the first run of the season. Those are 1280# bags that fill in 8 minutes. Emptying takes about 9. They all checked out great, so now the rear line locker will go back in place over the top of the pumps. Of note are the large red 4 gage power cables feeding these thirsty pumps. When they kick in, you know it! I don't think there is much chance of accidentally turning these pumps on without knowing it. The first 2 pics show the hydraulic pumps for the wake plates. I still have some work to go on those to get them "tuned".

Last edited by CJD; 03-20-2021 at 10:24 PM.

Hey, I was looking into doing the same pump upgrade you have going. Did you try heating the hose at all to make tighter bends? Or would 1 1/4” hose have been sufficient with having smaller ends attaching to the bags? Are the relays seeming to hold up fine? I was considering using a reversible relay like what’s on an ATV winch.

The hose has an internal teflon wire to keep it stiff...I'm not sure heating would accomplish much with it. It is not going to ever bend much. I don't know about the 1-1/4 hose. If you plan the routing and use brass plumbing elbows you can get it run well though. Any reduction in hose size will reduce your flow, so I recommend using the full 1-1/2" hose with the HF Talulah pumps.

The pump box says it will draw 30 amps, so technically you could run it right off the switches, but upgrade the wires to 10 gage. That's a lot of amps to run from the battery, through your dash switches and back to the rear transom where the pumps are! I chose to keep the factory 16 gage wiring, and then run killer 4 gage wire directly from the alternator lead...which is just a foot ahead of the pump locations...through relays. The wakemaker's timer modules are also rated to run the pumps directly, but I wanted to take the load off the main boat wiring and put it on cheap relays. I think I bought the 40 amp relays off Amazon for $15 for a 4 pack. So I have extras if they ever do fail.

I could not find a cheap water proof relay that had DPDT and an off position. I would have used a single relay if I could have found one, so your idea of a winch relay may be a good one. Of interest, the instructions for the pumps recommend you always have the engine running while operating the pumps...I assume so you won't run your battery down and end up stranded. If you run all three pumps at once you could pull 90 amps for 8-9 minutes...significant power!
    Last edited by CJD; 03-26-2021 at 11:33 AM.

Yep, that's some juice.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

I just realized my bags all have just 3/4” fittings on them, so probably not any point in putting the HF pump in.

Project looks great. I was reading your fill times and if you compare to my boat, it’s much better for sure. With 360 pounds difference in our rear bags (1100s vs 1280s), you’re filling about 40 seconds faster than me overall. I have my timer set for 8.40

Now, I do carry additional lead weight and store 200 pounds or 4 bags underneath those 1100s so I’m essentially the same weight as you when full. The one thing I’ve learned with my boat however is to set the non surf side bag to 90 percent full. I don’t fully weight the back end as I want a bit of roll for the surf side.
    I kinda know by looking at bag where it needs to be and adjust if necessary but seems best setup for excellent wave on the 242.
    I’m sure everyone’s setup is different.

Pro install for sure though and best of luck with this season. Hope your friends and family appreciate all of your hard work.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Quote Originally Posted by Inled View Post
    I just realized my bags all have just 3/4” fittings on them, so probably not any point in putting the HF pump in.
    If you are using impeller pumps, the smaller inlet just means the water's velocity increases. So no real measurable drop in flow rate. Aerator pumps, different story. But even then, its not that great of a drop between a 1" to 3/4" sac port.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

The HF pump has 1-1/2" inlet/outlet. I'd be willing to bet there would be a difference in flow if using 3/4" plumbing.

What sacs are you using that have a 1.5" inlet?
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

Wake makers. They advertise a 1" screw fitting for their 1-1/2" bag fitting, so I measured my original bag threads to roughly 1" and thought I was good. When I actually went to hook them up, it turned out the fitting is larger than the advertised 1". I had to wait for a new Wakemaker bag to arrive...about 3 days free shipping. The big fitting does neck slightly where the threads are...about 1-1/4" maybe, but still pretty large.

To me the scariest part is drilling the 1-7/8" holes through the boat bottom to install the thru-hulls. If anything breaks off prior to the pumps, the boat is going down fast! At least if anything breaks after the pumps you can always turn them off to stop the flow.