Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Ballast Pump Mounting

So I've finally had enough of the original sprinkler valve/aerator pump setup in our 2005 24SSV. I bought the big Talula HF 30GPM reversible pumps for the coming season. Now it's time to install. Here was my basic plan:

1) Three 1-1/2" thru hull fittings with 90 degree brass elbows to ball valves.
    2) Screw the 3 pumps directly to the ball valves and let the thru hull support the pump.

Very elegant and simple compared to the original plumbing. BUT, after holding and studying these huge pumps, I started second guessing myself. Are the thru-hull and ball valves going to be strong enough to support the pumps? The alternative would be to remote mount the pumps and run flex hose to them from the ball valves. This is problematic in that the 1-1/2" hose is not very flexible and it adds several additional fittings, also doubling the number and length of hose required.

Has anyone mounted pumps directly to the thru hulls and have a long term assessment?

Never seen pics or read about people mounting to the valves. Most pumps are made to mount to something to secure them down, not to have the in/out hose fittings support the weight.

Most people mount the Jabsco or Johnson pumps in an area that provides easy access to change the impellers.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MJHKnox; 12-19-2020 at 05:06 PM.
    2018 Supra SL400

Add heat, hoses will be more flexible and easier to work with.

2018 Supra SL400

1-1/2" ID hose is much thicker than you would think holding it in your hand. It'll bend, but likes to crimp when you do. Picture routing engine cooling hoses all over the engine bay and you get an idea of the size and scope! Fittings at 1-1/2" are very substantial too. The pump does have a mounting bracket on the side. It would just simplify so much not having to use the bracket. Mounted to the thru-hull will actually give the best access to the impellers. The limitation on bulkhead space in the V-drive engine bay will make impeller access harder if I have to move them to a bulkhead. The floor is the only real space easily accessible...just dont know if the brass fittings will survive long term.
    Last edited by CJD; 12-19-2020 at 07:20 PM.

#2; Pumps are too heavy, so not a good idea. Also, the pumps are not waterproof, so not a good idea to mount below waterline.

1-1/2 ballast hose is no more rigid then 1" ballast hose. Side wall thickness is not much thicker then 1" ballast as well.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

How about the transom area behind the motor by the muffler?

2018 Supra SL400

Something like this . . .

2018 Supra SL400

Appreciate the replies! I am sensing nobody has tried the direct pump mounting. The rear transom area is covered with a line locker. If I mount there the locker would have to come out to do anything with the pumps. I am also installing a 4 plate hydraulic wake shaper that will have to use much of that area with hydraulic pumps and lines.

I think I will study and fiddle with the parts for a while, while I install the wake plates, before I finalize a plan. I know it sounds like 1-1/2" hose is not that much different...but the absolute tightest bend you can make is only 16-20" radius, and that is pushing it. That makes planning runs for 6 hoses much more difficult in an already cramped area than you would think. At least if I want to have access to anything related to the engine or drive. MJH, I love your transom mounting! But that would not work with these hoses without doubling the spacing on the pumps and using many 90 degree elbows to get the hoses to them. I would have to staggger the pumps vertically also to get the hoses to run. These fittings are so large that by the time you get through the 90 elbow the pump is already well above the water line. The alternator would go under before them. I mean these fittings are HUGE. To put in perspective, the hoses are almost as large around as the original aerator pumps. Total area used by 25 feet of hoses running to the transom and back to the bags would be the equivalent of finding room for 30 aerator pumps in the engine bay! That's not including the fittings associated with the runs and new pumps.

Direct mounting the pump to the thru hull eliminates 1/2 of the number and volume of hose. It may be worth fashioning a bracket to be able to direct mount them to the fittings...will have to study and think.

I welcome any ideas while I ponder. Thanks again!

PS...Now that I study your setup, I see you just decided to do away with the line locker.
    Last edited by CJD; 12-20-2020 at 09:37 PM.

Line locker - not sure of any use for that. Once we are on the boat, I keep all the dock lines under the driver's helm by my feet. Plenty of room under there and helps when we we are getting ready to dock. I can easily hand out all the lines for the people putting the on port/starboard cleats. Less people shifting around to gain access to lockers.

I'm guessing you will not find many that will advise putting those electric pumps under the water line and potentially exposing them to water damage. Little different from a bilge pump.
    2018 Supra SL400

Mine are located on the transom - port side behind a false wall. I would think 1.5" hoses would be a huge pain in the ass to plumb looking at the cluster fudge I have with 6 one inch hoses in that tight space. I have one pump straight up, one upside down and one sideways for hose configuration but still easy enough to check the impellers.

When I drain my built in cooler, it pours out directly into bilge next to the the thru hull intakes. We go through 50-70 pounds of ice a weekend which ultimately gets drained while sitting on lift at end of day. I would not want my Jabsco pumps in bilge area but I understand the dilemma.

The only area I don't really use in my boat is underneath the rear center seat. It contains another white plastic cooler which is removable to access the Vdrive and tranny. I store my surf ropes in there but not really great usable space otherwise. Not sure if your '05 24SSV is similar to my 242 but if I had to mount pumps and keep them close to the hull, I'd figure out a way to use that space as it centers between the two lockers and easy access to front bag possibly.

If you want to spend more money, remove the muffler if similar to the pic MJHKnox, use straight pipes and add on FAE and you will gain space in front of motor if needed.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242