Default Floatation certificate

Hi

Based in South Africa, I have a 1980-1990 Supra(not too sure of the year of manufacture) and I'm looking for a flotation certificate. Is there anyone who could assist me with this or a contact with the manufacturer please?
    Last edited by Sean Sequeira; 12-07-2020 at 09:31 AM.

Year is last two digits on the HIN- Hull Identification Number based on the transom, starboard side. Look for the last two numbers and it will identify a year. Then you need to know which model of Supra it is. Is it a Beast, Rider, Saltare, or Comp. Could be a Marauder, Sport, Star, Conbrio, or a Mariah also depending on year.

Flotation certificate? Are you referring to the capacity decal that shows number of persons or pounds? Those are US Coast Guard maximum capacities.

If this is spam, I fell for it. If not, let me know as you can have the capacity decal reproduced.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Default Flotation certificate

Hello Mischief IV

Thanks for your reply. No, its not spam. I am certainly asking if anyone has a "flotation certificate" as it is required by local water authorities for compliance inspection which is held once a year in South Africa. I believe it is a piece of paper stating the flotation design and are standard issue with the original hand book at sale.
    The boat is a Supra Mariah. And its a 1989 model. Great boat and drinks lots of gas!! I bought it second hand about 6 years ago and now I come to this dead end!!!
    Attached are pics of the serial number and the capacity decal which i already have.

Quote Originally Posted by Mischief IV View Post
    Year is last two digits on the HIN- Hull Identification Number based on the transom, starboard side. Look for the last two numbers and it will identify a year. Then you need to know which model of Supra it is. Is it a Beast, Rider, Saltare, or Comp. Could be a Marauder, Sport, Star, Conbrio, or a Mariah also depending on year.

Flotation certificate? Are you referring to the capacity decal that shows number of persons or pounds? Those are US Coast Guard maximum capacities.

If this is spam, I fell for it. If not, let me know as you can have the capacity decal reproduced.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sean Sequeira; 12-08-2020 at 10:02 AM.

I have never heard of a flotation certificate. With these old boats, you either get a Bill of Sale and/ or the Manufacturer Statement of Origin. Neither will have any pertinent information regarding flotation design. This document may be specific to your government. I say if it floats, it is designed correctly.

For fun, your boat was the 106th produced in August of 1988 for the model year 1989. So, early production number and month.

Now, I have a manual for the model year 1989 Sunsport and Marauder and it says nothing in regards to the flotation design. Posting some pics just to show you what it states the build quality to be but no flotation info provided.

On another topic, I had scheduled a vacation to S. Africa this past April but two days before we were set to leave, the world shut down. My trip has been rescheduled to next April - May '21 and hope we can still make it over. I am not looking forward to the 15. 5 hour flight; however, I am looking forward to seeing Johannesburg and Capetown. I will also be visiting Zambia, Zimbabwe and Botswana.
    So, I am curious as to where you live and what lake you boat on?

Last edited by Mischief IV; 12-11-2020 at 01:31 PM.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

There’s a similar question/discussion around these South African floatation certificates in the mastercraft teamtalk forum but otherwise my quick search didn’t really yield much in the way of solutions. Best of luck, Sean, I hope you can solve this and continue to enjoy the Mariah, gas guzzling and all.

Also - that sounds like an amazing trip, Mischief. Bummer timing last april when corona was starting to get real and made you postpone. Fingers crossed for this spring. I liked the 80s brochure pics. Awesome boats and brand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2002 Supra Legacy
    1991 Alumacraft Lunker
    Old Town Discovery canoe

Don’t say this too loud California will hear you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk