Default Ignition Coil on electronic distributor.

Last season on my 1985 supra sunsport I replaced the distributor with a fully electronic pertronix marine distributor.

My question is does a performance type ignition coils offer me anything outside of better start? it had a flame thrower coil in it that had went bad so I just got a basic coil from the auto parts store. Am I losing power or performance with a cheap coil?
    Last edited by Nickgb55; 02-15-2021 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Clarity

I doubt you will see any improvement with just a coil. I have installed HEI ignition on 3 of my Supra's . I am very pleased with the results. A good one to get is Davis Unified Ignition . Make sure you get the marine unit.

did you get rid of the ballast resistor and run 12 volts direct to the coil not knowing what ohm coil you are running if you have 12v going to it all the time you can burn it up get the right flame thrower run 12 volts to it you wont have any problems
    1986 TSM6
    1987 SALTERA

So how would you bypass the resistor?

You just remove it. I would make sure the coil is designed to work without it, though, before running without a resistor.

The coil I am going to install is the pertronix flame thrower that is suggested to be used with the pertronix distributor.

Per skiboatpartsonline video it indicates removing it.

In terms of removing it...is it really as easy as just removing the resistor or do you need to do anything with the wiring to the coil as well?

The wiring should go from petronix to resistor to coil. You just remove the resistor from the circuit if you are sure it does not require it. The wire will then go from petronix direct to the coil. If the resistor is on the other side of the coil...same thing...just jump the resistor or remove it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickgb55 View Post
    The coil I am going to install is the pertronix flame thrower that is suggested to be used with the pertronix distributor.

Per skiboatpartsonline video it indicates removing it.

In terms of removing it...is it really as easy as just removing the resistor or do you need to do anything with the wiring to the coil as well?
    This is the same as what I did on my 86 years ago and it works great! FYI, at first I only replaced the points with Pertronix ignition, but it never ran really good until I installed the Flame Thrower coil and removed the ballast resistor. HEI like Mike did would be the ultimate, but I'm happy with the Pertronix. If I remember correctly, I did not change out my distributor.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com