Post 2021 Supra SA Reliabiliy

Hi everyone, we are looking at possibly getting a 2021 Supra SA as our first surf boat. We are curious about how reliable they are as well as how good of a stock wave they make? Any info on the boat and brand would be appreciated!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by domzu View Post
    Hi everyone, we are looking at possibly getting a 2021 Supra SA as our first surf boat. We are curious about how reliable they are as well as how good of a stock wave they make? Any info on the boat and brand would be appreciated!

Thanks
    Does your local dealer have any in stock?

Our dealer in Knoxville sold all the custom order slots and the floor inventory for 2021. Been that way for few months now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

Default 2021 Supra SA Reliabiliy

Here is a good write up by Wake9. The SA changed the hulls in 2020. 2020 and 2021 are the same hulls.

The first 10 mins is some history.
    10-15 is weighted
    15+ mins is stock.

Last edited by MJHKnox; 03-11-2021 at 09:30 AM.
    2018 Supra SL400

For surf waves and wakeboard wakes, it’s good to carry an add’l 500-600 #s of lead to move around.

If you use the Autowake number in the video, you are all set.

2018 Supra SL400

Reliable . . . .

Raptor motors are strong. Never hear about major issues or fails. Some catalytic converters went bad on 18s-19s, but I do not hear about that on new ones. Back around 2019-2020 they changed the trans ratios to get more torque. No issues with those new transmissions - not issues like prop shaft snapping.

There was an item back in 2019 with alternators and the wiring. The 230A alternator they were using was replaced by new unit from Indmar. The wiring harness issue was also addressed. Anyone that was affected was covered under warranty.

Surf Tech - ballast, tabs, and software have been around and the last major change was on 2018. I don't hear people complaining about them.

Stereo - there have been a few people talking about low-buzzing noise in some boats for the 2021s. Not sure if that is b/c of a bad ground or something in the software. Anyways, not all boats have that. JL equipment and speakers rock. I think the SA has bigger subs.

Interiors - do not hear any complains about the chill-vinyl. Follow the manufacturer's guide on what to clean it with - use dawn soapy water and no harsh chemicals

Gel Coats - a lot of people using ceramic coating after they purchase for the shine and protection. To put that on, you need to prep the gel on your boat. So the people that are doing that do not mention about gel issues like some of the other mass produced wake boats from other makers.

With ALL new boats and ALL boat makers, there will be items that need adjusted or replaced under warranty. Thus get a good relationship with your dealer. The SA is a great boat. I have an SL, but my friends that have them love them and would buy a new SA w/o questions or test drives. They love the tech advances.
    Last edited by MJHKnox; 03-11-2021 at 10:00 AM.
    2018 Supra SL400

Quote Originally Posted by domzu View Post

Thanks
    If you go to the Moomba Forum, there is a thread by @Larry_Arizona about his new 2021 SA build. Take a look. Awesome looking boat he just took delivery on. Owned a SA previous to the new 2021.
    2018 Supra SL400

2018 Supra SL400

Yeah, it's been impossible. We had a refundable deposit on a boat and managed to get one of the last ones at our dealer for 2021. We have to make a decision pretty quick here though.

Thank you for this in-depth response! This will probably be a boat we hold for a long period and I just wanna make sure it will one to make it for years to come without having any major issues.

Default 2021 Supra SA Reliabiliy

Hit me up if you have any other 21SA questions.

I spend more time on the moomba forum, much better resource for modern Supras

Last edited by Larry Arizona; 03-11-2021 at 03:32 PM.