Hybrid View

Default New Swim Platform Winter Project

I finally finished last winter's covid project...the new platform I've been working on...thought I'd show off the details. The original on our 2005 24SSV had reached the point the black rubber was staining everyone's hands and swim suites. The girls in the family were getting miffed and not wanting to go out anymore. Since I also wanted to add wake plates...and a ladder for my wife who has back issues, here is the final "do all" platform I came up with:

The basic platform is a teak wood top over a machined aluminum frame.

The ladder is counterbalanced with gas struts so it locks in the down position with the struts over-center. The lock is just strong enough to hold the ladder down when in use, but if forgotten, the water flow from the prop will kick it back up and it locks in place with the little silver latch you can see in the picture. The latch can be reached easily when in or out of the water. When you release the latch the struts pop the ladder up out of the platform about an inch, so it is easy to grab and fold out into position.
    Last edited by CJD; 04-16-2021 at 12:04 PM.

The final feature are the wake plates. There are 2 that are horizontal acting as trim tabs to lean the boat to the side you want to surf. The 2 side plates sculpt and lengthen the sweet spot of the wake. I am still playing with optimum settings, but so far they are working great. I can now weight the boat evenly and then use the plates to lean it. It is a little disconcerting when the boat is travelling in a straight line and you can take it from 10 degrees port lean to 10 degrees starboard lean in just a few seconds!

You will note the plates and hydraulic pistons are fully connected to the swim platform frame, so there was no need to drill any extra holes in the boat. I did have to add stationary sheet metal plates just ahead of the wake plates to fair the water flow over the wake plates instead of behind them. So far we are getting a much better wake with the plates as-is than we used to get using ballast alone. I think that is mainly due to the extra weight...i.e. we used to have to lean the boat by removing the water from the high side. Now we can keep both sides full and lean with the plates. So we are constantly carrying an additional 1280lbs of ballast. The new platform is also designed to prevent it getting caught in the wake and collapsing it like the factory platform did. This winter project will be to play around with different plate shapes and sizes to get a tsunami size wake next year. But for now...

If you need us, we'll be out surfing!
    Last edited by CJD; 04-16-2021 at 12:15 PM.

Outstanding work you are truly an engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by michael hunter View Post
    Outstanding work you are truly an engineer.
    THIS!!

Jaw drop. Well done.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Outstanding, looks like a combination of swell surf with a surf gate.

The ladder integration is brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is great. I have been wanting to make a hatch on my 2008 to be able to take the plug out on the lift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is the BEST swim platform I have seen!! Great Job!
    1984 SUPRA ALLEGRO 454 PCM 330 HP
    14H 14L Michigan Prop

Brilliant!