Default 2008 22SSV Engine temps

I have a 2008 Supra 22SSV with the 340 EXT cat motor. I bought it last year and this is my first wake boat. I have had other I/O 's and outboards. Between last year and running it on a fake a lake this year to do oil change, my temp on the dash never goes above 150. I am usually in the mid 140's all the time. I was under the impression these had a 160 degree thermostat. I would have thought temps would be closer to 160 on the dash? am I wrong here? Could the thermostat be opening too early? Let me know your thoughts.

I have a 160 degree thermostat on my boat as well and running it on the hose I never see anything above 140 and on the water I see 150-160 usually in the heat of summer.

You are good.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

I used to run a 160degree thermostat in my 351W and it always indicated in the 170s. Either Vince or Rich at skidim had me install a 145degree thermostat and now the gauge sits right on 160, which is where the manual says to run it.
    Yours being a 2008 is probably different, but the point being that you motor may not Necessarily operate at the temperature marked on your thermostat. A lot of guys I know don't even use one, but mine really needs it because she don't like to run cold.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com

It won’t make that temp at idle. Unless you idle it forever which I don’t recommend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2007 ran cooler with the early season cooler water. As water temps rose in TN, the temps increased over the summer.

If I recall, it was a 160’ thermostat.

Naturally at idle vs running down the lake will force more water through the system and cause lower temps.

2018 Supra SL400

On a different note about temps and cat motors, you might want to google the Indmar Replumb Kit. See if you motor has this.

Some, not all, early cat motors had issues with exhaust manifolds running too hot and eventually failing. Thus the new part is appx $1200 per side.

The kit is around $120 for the new hoses. Looks like an easy install. I think in later years, Indmar changed the hose routing.

This was also talked about on the Malibu and Mastercraft forums too back in the day.

2018 Supra SL400

Mine always run 160. SkiDim told me to run 160 thermostat so it’s what I’ve always used.
    The engine runs better at warmer temp.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242