Default New Owner needs help

Hey Guys and Girls,
    Without going into the details, I recently became the owner of an '05 Launch 24SSV. The boat is in immaculate condition. Low hours, engine in good shape, Upholstery looks brand new, very few blemishes on the hull, Boatmate trailer, etc. I've taken the boat out a few times and other than it being a BEAST and a little harder to maneuver at slow speed and a b*tch to load on the trailer, it runs great and carries really good speed. Tons of room for the kids, their friends and toys.
    Problem is...I know nothing about the boat. General maintenance, oil type, best batteries to use, how to sync the speedometers, general things to look for, etc.
    I'm not a novice at boating. I owned a Mastercraft Powerslot Stars and Stripes back in the 80's and used to love to run the slalom course.
    If anyone have any suggestions about anything I would greatly appreciate some feed back.
    Thanks so much.

There is a knob under the dash that you turn to tune the main speedo. For the perfect pass you adjust within the setup menu.

The bigger the battery the better. If you sit for long times with the stereo going and engine off you do not want to end up not being able to start the boat. Many even separate the stereo to a separate battery with an auto-isolator.

For everything else download the manual:

https://cdn.bakesonline.com/media/re...2005manual.pdf

I downloaded the manual. For the most part it’s worthless. I changed out both batteries but as is my luck I placed something on the wrong terminal...fried my gauges, accessories and stereo. I thought the Circuit breaker was supposed to prevent that. Not sure what to do but put it back in the shop again.
    Maybe I’ll get it out on the water next year. Sigh.

Bummer. I feel your pain. Most of the accessories, like pumps, lights, most gages, and odd motors should not be damaged by a short reverse voltage. The electronics, like the perfect pass, radio, trim tab module and engine control module may be permanently damaged, though. Breakers and fuses are no help, as they only sense the amount of current, but cannot tell which direction it is flowing. A simple diode will prevent damage...but most electronics don't provide one in their circuits.

Quote Originally Posted by imjustjack View Post
    I downloaded the manual. For the most part it’s worthless. I changed out both batteries but as is my luck I placed something on the wrong terminal...fried my gauges, accessories and stereo. I thought the Circuit breaker was supposed to prevent that. Not sure what to do but put it back in the shop again.
    Maybe I’ll get it out on the water next year. Sigh.
    You should have a resettable breaker in the battery compartment that protects the main bus under the helm that feeds all the items you listed. Take a look because that bus needs to have protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I won't attempt to fix myself. I'm too big of an F_ING IDIOT!

If it helps...we've all been there...