Default Trailer tire's coming apart

I would like to tell everyone that there is a number on your trailer tire that is the expiration date, upon arrival of that date you can expect the tire thread to leave your tire while towing. then having to have it replaced on the side of the road. I am now having the other three replaced at a safe garage no high speed traffic flying by.
    The thread looked fine it had just gone past the date !!!

Most trailer ST tires are rated for 65 mph summer heat and fast speed is a recipe for failure. I am thinking about buying LT tires next time . The RV guys are going that way because of the number of ST tire failures. They are optional on the Airstream trailers.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyp View Post
    I would like to tell everyone that there is a number on your trailer tire that is the expiration date, upon arrival of that date you can expect the tire thread to leave your tire while towing. then having to have it replaced on the side of the road. I am now having the other three replaced at a safe garage no high speed traffic flying by.
    The thread looked fine it had just gone past the date !!!
    The number that is molded into the sidewall of the tire give you several pieces of information if you look it up. Date of manufacture(not expiration date) country of origin, and the facility where it was produced in that country. Speed rating is usually listed near the tire size. Trailer tires are designed with a heavier sidewall than most vehicle tires. I bought a used boat and it came with (4) Chinese GOODRIDES that I replaced. Goodyear now makes the new Endurance line here in the USA and they are speed rated at 87 MPH.

I had two Goodyear Marathon ST tires blow out at highway speed I hope the Endurance hold up better.

Quote Originally Posted by michael hunter View Post
    I had two Goodyear Marathon ST tires blow out at highway speed I hope the Endurance hold up better.
    Me too. They are the only ones made in the US right now. I had a blowout on a BF Goodrich trailer tire 20 years ago, and thought I blew the transmission in my truck.

Quote Originally Posted by michael hunter View Post
    Those Marathons were junk. I have the Endurance and so far they are holding up just fine. 3 years and I tow at 70mph and it gets hot here in AZ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk