Default 06 indmar 325 hard to start once hot

I have a freshly rebuilt 06 indmar 325. It fires up instantly when cold. It seriously catches on what seems like half a rotation of the engine. Once it’s warm and you shut it off it cranks for 45 seconds before it fires up. Could this be vapor locking?? My fuel pump is new, ignition coil and module are new aftermarket. (Watch the aftermarket ignition module be the problem, story of my life)

I remember reading about a vapor lock issue on these. Hopefully someone here can help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm, when it sits are you using the stereo or any other electricity? I noticed on mine if I’m using the stereo a lot and go to crank the engine spins at a normal speed but it doesn’t want to fire or it’s super slow to start. If I switch batteries then it fired right up. 06 isn’t know for vapor lock unless you have old watery gas in the tank. Check battery health. If it’s vapor lock then the next time it happens try starting at full throttle, without gear engaged of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbinesurgeon View Post
    Hmm, when it sits are you using the stereo or any other electricity? I noticed on mine if I’m using the stereo a lot and go to crank the engine spins at a normal speed but it doesn’t want to fire or it’s super slow to start. If I switch batteries then it fired right up. 06 isn’t know for vapor lock unless you have old watery gas in the tank. Check battery health. If it’s vapor lock then the next time it happens try starting at full throttle, without gear engaged of course.

Full throttle does make it start much easier, what does that mean? And anyone with the anti vapor lock kit from indmar, could you confirm the part number on the electric fuel pump? I installed one identical to it on my last boat and it was under 75 bucks for the pump. I’m not giving them 500 bucks for a cheap pump and a fancy custom wire harness.

Default Hard start

If you have the throttle wide open and it starts, that generally means it’s flooding. The ECM shuts down the injectors at start up to clear excess fuel while supplying more air. Its part of the programming. I wonder if possibly may have one or more injectors leaking after you shut it off.

+1 to flooding. That likely means an injector is bad, allowing fuel to drip into the manifold while the engine sits with pressure in the line. Vapor locking is not a problem with fuel injection unless your fuel pump is bad.

You can get vapor lock in FI motors but unlike carbed motors where fuel boils in the carb the electric fuel pump boils the water and cavitates. So the answer to the problem in the early motors was to add a second fuel pump upstream to clear out the main pump. Now something you could do before spending the money is after everything is heat soaked and it’s showing signs of a hard start pour some cool water on the pump. If it fires right up then that’s your issue. The pump on my 06 isn’t in a heat sensitive area and I’ve never experienced this problem but my buddies Centurion had this issue and became apparent when E85 fuel came out.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbinesurgeon View Post
    You can get vapor lock in FI motors but unlike carbed motors where fuel boils in the carb the electric fuel pump boils the water and cavitates. So the answer to the problem in the early motors was to add a second fuel pump upstream to clear out the main pump. Now something you could do before spending the money is after everything is heat soaked and it’s showing signs of a hard start pour some cool water on the pump. If it fires right up then that’s your issue. The pump on my 06 isn’t in a heat sensitive area and I’ve never experienced this problem but my buddies Centurion had this issue and became apparent when E85 fuel came out.

Sounds like a good way to rule it out! I’ll try that next time.

Well...even if it is possible to get vapor lock, opening the throttle would not make a difference in that case. Starting better with an open throttle is still the biggest indication of flooding, or the opposite of vapor lock.