Thread: Running rich

Default Running rich

2001 Supra Launch.
    Indimar 5.7. the boat has started running rich (I think)...
    The exhaust seems to reek with fuel. Seems to be using A LOT more gas recently. Idles a good bit faster, now ( about 1300 rpm). What would cause this and is there a fix a fella could do on his own?

Any help is appreciated!!

Roll

Is it a Holley? If so the power valve could be blown.

Carb or fuel injection?

Quote Originally Posted by CJD View Post
    Is it a Holley? If so the power valve could be blown.
    Hmmm
    Not sure if its a Holley or not. I haven't seen any markings on the carburetor that would indicate manufacturer. I'll look closer this weekend...

Quote Originally Posted by secondsupra2004 View Post
    Carb or fuel injection?
    Throttle body

Quote Originally Posted by Rolltrain View Post
    Throttle body
    So, It sounds like you have a (TBI) throttle body injected engine. There are (2) tan clips on top of the throttle body, one going to each injector. First thing to do is pull the spark arrestor, turn the key on but don't start the engine. Look in the throttle body and see if any fuel is leaking/dripping out of either injector. If so, you need to send them off and have them rebuilt, or buy new ones. Another issue can be the IAC (idle air control solenoid). If it is not working properly, the engine will surge, run rich and can cause high idle. It could be possibly be the TPS (throttle position sensor) but I doubt it. You may have stored codes in the ECM, but you'd need a scanner or simple code reader to check these. Most people don't want to get that involved at that point, nor have the expertise to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by secondsupra2004 View Post
    So, It sounds like you have a (TBI) throttle body injected engine. There are (2) tan clips on top of the throttle body, one going to each injector. First thing to do is pull the spark arrestor, turn the key on but don't start the engine. Look in the throttle body and see if any fuel is leaking/dripping out of either injector. If so, you need to send them off and have them rebuilt, or buy new ones. Another issue can be the IAC (idle air control solenoid). If it is not working properly, the engine will surge, run rich and can cause high idle. It could be possibly be the TPS (throttle position sensor) but I doubt it. You may have stored codes in the ECM, but you'd need a scanner or simple code reader to check these. Most people don't want to get that involved at that point, nor have the expertise to do it.
    I know the clips you are talking about. I have unplugged them and made sure they were clean...

What type of code reader would I need to check the ecm? I have an OBDII, but I'm guessing that's not what you're referring to.
    I'll have to wait until the weekend to check the jets for dripping. I can't store the boat at my house , but I don't believe there are any leaks or drips. I have it off fairly regularly just trying to see if I notice something out of the ordinary.

Thanks for your posts. I appreciate it

Roll

Quote Originally Posted by Rolltrain View Post
    I know the clips you are talking about. I have unplugged them and made sure they were clean...

What type of code reader would I need to check the ecm? I have an OBDII, but I'm guessing that's not what you're referring to.
    I'll have to wait until the weekend to check the jets for dripping. I can't store the boat at my house , but I don't believe there are any leaks or drips. I have it off fairly regularly just trying to see if I notice something out of the ordinary.

Thanks for your posts. I appreciate it

Roll
    OBDII scanner won't word. Marine engines use the MEFI system, not the same as an auto. Rinda technologies makes a simple code reader for $59.00. See the attached link. At least that way you can check the ECM for any faults/stored codes. I bought a full scanner($500.00) and it does a lot more. When you do get back to the boat, check the injectors first to make sure they are not leaking when the key is on.
    https://www.rinda.com/rindashop/shop/codemate/94008