Default 2021 SE550 Thruster beeping

I have a 2021 SE550 with the thruster option. Recently the port side thruster has started having a beeping alarm that will not turn off. You don't hear it while out on the water, however once its loaded back on the trailer during our wipe down it is continuous until you shut the battery off. Even if you shut the battery of for a couple minutes then turn it back on it starts beeping again.

I took it into the dealer and they say this is normal. I told them it didn't do that when I first bought it. After I did the break in hours and took it in for the post break in service it started doing it and has done it ever since. This doesn't seem normal to me. Why only the port side? It beeps about every 15 seconds non stop till you kill the power from the battery. Turning the key off doesn't stop it either. I don't think it had anything to do with the service.

Still doesn't seem normal to me. Also of note that I pointed out to the dealer, the port side thruster motor is discolored. Turning gold on the motor itself. That isn't happening on the starboard side. He did say that was odd but still assured me that the beeping alarm is normal.

Has any one else with the thrusters have this happening that can confirm to me that this is normal?

Also under the panel that backs the back seat on the port side there is some sort of computer module that has a cooling fan. The dealer said its for the underwater lights and the thrusters. The fan constantly runs. Again never turns off unless you kill the battery power. They have also said this is normal.

All this is just a drain on the batteries. If I leave the battery switch on for more than 2 days the batteries are dead.

Anyone have any guidance here? I would go to another dealer for a second opinion, unfortunately we only have 1 Supra dealer in the state.
    Last edited by michael hunter; 07-13-2021 at 06:51 AM.

I have the thrusters and some of your concerns appear normal.

First off check the control module in the port side of surf locker.

Looks like this....

I hear the beeping with key off in accessory mode, but it goes away when key is off and shut down.

I also turn my battery switch off when not in use.

There is a thruster controller on the port and starboard back seats, when boat is powered, those cooling fans will run. Thrusters use a ton of power to run.

If you have the liquid Lumens underwater lights, the light controller also has a separate RGB controller with a cooling fan that is completely separate system from the thrusters.

Liquid Lumens and liquid propulsion are sister companies.

I have overheated my thrusters, but I was absolutely using them aggressively. They will shut down and it takes awhile to cool down.

Discoloration is not ok.

You can try and post your concerns over on Moomba forum as liquid propulsion is a forum member there and can answer your questions.

For the record, I love love love the thrusters but you have to understand their limits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Larry Arizona; 07-13-2021 at 11:21 AM.

Larry,

Thanks for your response!

The beeping doesn't shut off even with the key off and accessory mode shut off. It only turns off once I shut the batteries off. Also it only starts and keeps beeping after the motor has been running. If I just go out now for example and turn the batteries on and turn on the key to bring up the screens, it goes through all its checks and starts the blower and all the beeps and then it stops. But if I start it on the trailer for even a second then shut it down then the beeping starts again. It beeps about every 15 seconds right from the thruster motor itself.

Also I cannot find the control panel from your picture. I took off the panel in my rear locker and mine is the pictured control panel with the cooling fan. There is one of those on each side.

thumbnail_IMG_2187.jpgthumbnail_IMG_2188.jpg

On my SA it’s in the SURF/rear locker tucked up to the starboard side (I said port before, my apologies)of the engine access panel.

It’s out in the open, no cover over it. You kinda need to stick your head in locker and look up.

Did you reach out to RoboSanLucas on Moomba forum?

The discoloration seems wrong. My guess is the beep will show a red light fault on the controller.

Last edited by Larry Arizona; 07-13-2021 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Arizona View Post
    On my SA it’s in the SURF/rear locker tucked up to the starboard side (I said port before, my apologies)of the engine access panel.

It’s out in the open, no cover over it. You kinda need to stick your head in locker and look up.

Did you reach out to RoboSanLucas on Moomba forum?

The discoloration seems wrong. My guess is the beep will show a red light fault on the controller.

I did find the control module you were talking about and it doesn't show any red lights.

thumbnail_IMG_2193.jpg

I did post a short YouTube video on the Moomba forum showing what its doing.

I guess next step is to send a message to RoboSanLucas and see if he can help or confirm that this is normal. I appreciate your advise and help Larry Arizona.

Glad to see liquid propulsion offer to come troubleshoot your boat. That is awesome customer service.

Let us know (here or Moomba forum) the outcome.

I just wanted to give an update and a big shout out the the great guys over at Liquid Propulsion. Both Rob aka RoboSanLucas on the forum and his partner Eric. Rob reached out and we spoke on the phone and yes my issues were not normal or standard.

He offered to come to my house to see if they could diagnose the issue. I opted to take it too their shop where they have all their equipment to make it easier. I took it in this afternoon and left it with Eric and a couple hours later he had figured out that the control module had gone bad on the circuit operating the port side thruster. First one they had that happen with. He was glad I was local as it made the diagnosis easier being able to do it first hand especially since they hadn’t seen this problem yet. They put a new module in and it solved the problem. Module wasn’t indicating a problem but they bench tested it and found the problem.

I really appreciate their willingness to stand behind their product and getting me back in service. After talking with Eric I have even more confidence in their systems. Great folks to work with!

Also they seem to be some real innovators. They are working on several cool lighting accessories and also an aftermarket retrofit thruster kit. After having thrusters I don’t see myself going without ever again. Especially for the sake of my co-captain aka wife. We certainly have less argument at the ramp and the dock. They may be a little spendy but way cheaper than divorce. Lol

Thanks again Rob and Eric!!