Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1994 Supra Sunsport Bent Rudder - repair options or source for used replacement

Rough day at the lake. High winds pushed me into shallow water and my rudder bent sideways. I get my props repaired at Jim's Prop Shop in Denver and I will call there on Monday to see if he can repair bent rudders as well but looking for repair shop suggestions as well as a source for a used rudder if anyone would have one. I'll attach pictures so that if anyone has experience with this maybe they can tell me if it's bent too far to be repairable. Also, curious as to what a repair like this should cost. Thanks in advance for any advice or recommendations.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The prop shop should be able to straighten it.

I probably have several of these but any metal shop could bend that back into shape.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Thanks for the replies. I know that last season Jim’s lead time on prop repairs was pretty lengthy but I’ll know more on Monday. I’d still like to use the boat this season. If he can’t get to the rudder repair soon and I can’t find a local metal shop to do it then I’ll check back with Mischief IV on seeing if I can buy one from you. Probably not a bad thing for me to have a spare rudder anyway.

Yep, brass is infinitely repairable. They should check the post carefully for cracks, but other than that it is a straight forward job. Also, if he is backed up for too long, I would not have a problem running it that way for the remainder of the season.

That's good to know (about just using it as-is for remainder of season). I wasn't sure if I would cause other problems or not by using it with it that bent. Hopefully it goes back together easier than it came apart. I hope I didn't mushroom the top of the shaft too much by how hard I had to hit it. I think it was hanging up either on the square key or the pinch pin while I was trying to get it out of the steering collar.

Well, Jim’s Prop Shop doesn’t repair rudders anymore because he said they often break before they get completely straight. Metal shops in my area won’t repair it because it’s either a small job that they don’t want or they don’t have the ability to braze weld if needed. I guess I’m either going to need to source a used one or pony up the money for the whole new rudder and rudder box or run it as is. I bent it just prior to putting it in the trailer so I don’t know how it will work but I guess I’ll put it back together and give it a try. I can’t tell for sure but it might be cracked/torn at the base of the shaft so I don’t feel like it’s very safe to use it long term.

I’ll probably check with General Propeller out of Florida tomorrow to see what they say about repair.

Walked into a couple small machine shops today and they confirmed that the post is cracked and can’t be bent back into shape. Talked with Skidim and I know what to order but just checking one more time for anybody with a used rudder… Mischief IV? If not, then this was my $800 mistake of the season.

Well Bummer. At least you found the crack before it broke off.