Default Love my Supra Esprit.......but

Just bought a 93 Supra Esprit (Conbrio) Seems in great shape, solid floor, low hrs etc. Love the quick acceleration & manouverability of the boat.
    I use it more as a runabout & evening putts around the lake with the wife & the occasional towing duties. Only thing I hadnt planned for was that low bow! I knew it was a low profile boat when I bought it but didnt realize how easy that front bow can take on a swell. I give it throttle to raise the bow when I see them coming but now I just stay off the lake then the wakeboats are out usually mid day. In calm water its a real fun boat. Previous boat was a 9 passenger bowrider & was looking for something a bit smaller & more fun to drive. Went from a Cadialac to a Corvette lol. I enjoy the direct drive opposed to the stern drive.

supra4.jpgSupra1.jpgsupra .jpgsupra2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have 6 boats ranging from a 16' 67 Correct Craft Mustang 2 comps 1 Sunsport 1 Nautique 210 and a 25' Pontoon. It rarely happens but I have stuffed the nose on all of them. Its a matter of driver skill more than kind of boat . You have to get that nose up or take the wave parallel to the side. Sometime you are just going to get it especially when you don't see it coming. All part of the game when you drive a Corvette instead of a school bus.

It is the second wave , not the first that will catch your bow, and you off guard.
    As your nose goes over the first wave it dives down the first wave and meets the trough of second wave head on.
    Water over bow as a result.
    Solution is to power up as you go over first wave keeping bow high through second and third waves.
    I also keep my bow cover on during all but calm times or when at anchor in calm areas.
    I have over the years rescued many bigger boats in storms who were broken down etc, in my conbrio.
    I merely put it in “tugboat mode” with power such that bow rides high at all times.
    Works just fine.
    Love this boat!

Default Love my Supra Esprit.......but

Some pontoon owner on one of the local TN lakes was just complaining about wake boats and waves.

How wakeboats were dangerous b/c they threw monster waves . . . How they felt helpless in the lake b/c they tried going over a wave (head on) and nearly ripped the front gate off. . . How the boat felt like it was sinking b/c of the water rushing on.

Ummm, new pontoon owner was a little taken back when the response was to be aware of your surroundings and QUIT taking big waves head-on by any wakeboats or cruisers. The front end will be STUFFED.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MJHKnox; 08-16-2021 at 02:25 PM.
    2018 Supra SL400

A learning curve for sure with the Combrio/Esprit. Such a different boat than my last. It puts a smile on my face when I drive it. I was pulling newbie skiers today so it meant lots of turning around to collect skiers & dealing with my own wake. At first I was handling it pretty good but when the lake got busy I was taking in those 2nd waves for sure. I also had 4 in the boat including myself + the skier so the bow was pretty loaded. Good thing the bilge pump is strong. A bow cover is a strong consideration but not looking forward to drilling all those snaps into that nice gelcoat. I do appreciate the advive on how to handle the low bow.

Only difference between closed bow and open is an open bow gets a wave of water over the bow and down the center aisle . On a closed bow it goes over the noise over the windshield and dumps in your lap.

When I had a 2007, I dunked the bow a few times. I leaned quick.

And it also happens on newer boats. On Tellico Lake last fall in my 2018 SL. I looked up and noticed a 65-85’ cruiser hauling azz and coming right towards me. I still recall the sight - I could see the bow pointing in the air toward me and two white water walls of water coming from transom - like a snow plow. The second wave got me. They were huge. My lesson - stay well clear of those big boys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400