Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 2020 Supra SL 550 Roush Engine needs to be replaced not under warranty

Anyone every heard of a 1 year old engine needing to be replaced and not covered under warranty by Indmar. We have put in premium gas and mostly non ethanol every time. Went to Lake Powell and bought fuel that they are saying had water in it and destroyed the engine. Now being told a new motor installed is anywhere from $25,000 - $40,000. Any advise - anyone had water get into their engine from faulty equipment and not just a bad batch of gas? Had another boat with us that filled up at the same time same product but not a super charged ultra sensitive motor. Had one misfire and no other warning and 12 boat hours later had a smoking boat and destroyed motor. Not a happy boater at this point!!

Anyone else had problems with the Indmar super charged motor?? All they are considering is bad fuel and not looking into faulty parts?

What exactly is wrong with the engine? Is there water in the oil. They will have to prove you did something to damage it not just make up a story. Did you contact Supra and start a warranty case through them?

Report from Indmar - contacting Supra now but engine is on Indmar warranty.
    1. Problem Reported By Customer
    zero compression #3
    2. Receiving Information
    Unit received and Inspected on 8-4-21. (Event happened on 7/6 taken to dealer on 7/8 not sure why the delay in receiving? this added by me)
    3. Results of Inspection / Testing
    Visual inspection revealed the following:
    a) No compression on #3 cylinder
    b) Found #3 piston starting to melt and break apart
    c) Registration/ sale date: 6-26-20
    d) Engine hours: 121
    A limited tear down was performed on the engine with these observations:
    a) The #3 injector was tested and is within spec
    b) Gas sample was taken from the fuel rail and found visible water mixed with the gas

5. Summary and Conclusions
    a) #3 piston has started to melt and come apart
    b) The injector was tested and is within spec
    c) The fuel sample was taken from the fuel rail and visible water could be seen mixed with the fuel.
    d) Excessive water in the fuel and/or low octane fuel would cause the engine to run lean, thus the piston damage would occur.
    e) Damage caused by the use of fuels and lubricants that are not suitable for use with or on the product or its fuel system
    components are not covered by the Indmar Limited product Warranty.
    f) No defects in workmanship or parts could be identified in this engine.
    g) No other possible root causes for this damage could be identified.

ONE ALARM ABOUT MISFIRE THAT WE RECEIVED AT 112 HOURS BUT THEY SHOW 6000 ALARMS THAT DO NOT SHOW UP IF THE SAME MISFIRE(ALARM) IS WHAT WE WERE TOLD SO HAD NO IDEA UNTIL ENGINE WAS SMOKING AND WENT INTO LIMP MODE ON THE WAY BACK TO THE MARINA TO FUEL UP FOR THE NEXT DAY ON THE LAKE.

I would take that report to your insurance company.

If someone poured sugar in your auto gas tank, insurance would cover it.

Water is an equally foreign substance.

I still think water in fuel should put engine in limp mode and keep it there. Indmar should cover it no question.

Very familiar with forced induction engines and detonation with bad fuel is typically mitigated with knock sensors that pull timing until knocking stops and if knocking continues it goes in limp mode:

I would argue that Indmar didn’t have the correct amount of timing pulled for subpar fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Larry Arizona; 08-19-2021 at 04:10 PM.

I have never heard of water causing a melted piston. If you had that much water in the fuel there would be a lot of other symptoms such as
    Rough acceleration
    Misfires
    Rough idle
    Check engine light
    Steam from the exhaust
    Slow acceleration
    Hard starting condition
    The car does not start at all
    It appears after the car have been standing for a while

The piston melted because it got too hot . There are a lot of things that could have caused that . It sounds like they made up one story and went with it because it fit the not under warranty scenario. Unless they find the real cause they are just guessing . I have dealt with insurance adjusters like this before it is only their opinion as to what caused it not necessarily fact. You need to get your own expert to see what really happened or it will most likely happen again?

Detonation is what melted that position on a FI engine.

1000% ECM should have put that boat in limp mode.

This is the report from Indmar. They are blaming the fuel and water. We are having a conference call with the dealer, Indmar rep, Supra rep and insurance rep to discuss how and why this happened and that it didn't go to limp mode and hopefully we don't get stuck with the new engine bill. We really don't feel like it is bad fuel since we were with two other boats that filled up at the same time and same place and had not problems but neither boat had the Roush super sensitive engine. One of the boats was nicer than ours but not an Indmar engine. I appreciate all the advice and opinions to help with questions at our meeting as we are a bit new to boating and learning way too much about engines at this point. We have done everything by the book with oil changes, breaking it in, premium gas, winterization etc and stuck with having to put in a new engine after year 1. They even act like they don't ever repair engines so if you have a problem it is a complete new engine which is frustrating especially when the limited warranty is so limited and bad gas is problem the problem for them most of the time.

That is what we are wondering too why it didn't put the engine in limp mode. The boat ran great the 12 hours that the report shows we had major problems and it wasn't until it was smoking and oil coming out that it went into limp mode.

Good luck sorting it out.

So you have the Indmar warranty when you bought the boat? Sounds like a new purchase, but I know people turning out their 2021s already.

I’m betting they will take care of you.

Last edited by MJHKnox; 08-21-2021 at 12:55 PM.
    2018 Supra SL400

As for the 550 motor, I have friends with that in the SA and SE models. They have no issues.

On social media, I think I’ve read about 1 or 2 with some type of ‘failure’. It’s not many.

If anything, there are probably more error codes I hear about. The mechanics I talk to compare it to the older 496 motors that were a “little more finicky” vs the std motor option.

2018 Supra SL400