Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forced induction engines have more ECM safeguards. That said, if you put bad fuel in it and keep pushing through a fault code by shutting it down and trying it again, it will still blow up.

If the fuel was bad and you ran 12 hours on it, it may very well have detonated enough to break the #3 piston.

I don’t know how much timing Indmar pulls, but I can tell you on a GM 6.2 LSA, it will pull so much timing to protect the engine to the point of throwing 5-8 codes and shutting the engine down.

My LSA went into full limp mode and would barely run with the dash lit up like a Xmas tree.

Got it home, pulled a fuel sample from the rail, easily 10% water. Added alcohol to the tank and took the blower belt off, ran it around easily to burn off the 14 gallons I had left and was fine.

If you had non ethanol fuel with water in it, the gas and water won’t homologate.

Ethanol will help homologate the water enough to consume it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Arizona View Post
    Forced induction engines have more ECM safeguards. That said, if you put bad fuel in it and keep pushing through a fault code by shutting it down and trying it again, it will still blow up.

If the fuel was bad and you ran 12 hours on it, it may very well have detonated enough to break the #3 piston.

I don’t know how much timing Indmar pulls, but I can tell you on a GM 6.2 LSA, it will pull so much timing to protect the engine to the point of throwing 5-8 codes and shutting the engine down.

My LSA went into full limp mode and would barely run with the dash lit up like a Xmas tree.

Got it home, pulled a fuel sample from the rail, easily 10% water. Added alcohol to the tank and took the blower belt off, ran it around easily to burn off the 14 gallons I had left and was fine.

If you had non ethanol fuel with water in it, the gas and water won’t homologate.

Ethanol will help homologate the water enough to consume it.

Just curious, how much alcohol did you add to 14g? 1 gallon?

2018 Supra SL400

Quote Originally Posted by MJHKnox View Post
    Just curious, how much alcohol did you add to 14g? 1 gallon?

16 oz. The GM LSA is 9:1 compression without boost, it needed just enough alcohol to allow the water to mix with gas versus phase separate.

OP,

Any update on your engine?

Default No answers yet 2 months and still not sure who is paying for the new engine.

No answers and 2 it’s been 2 months and still not sure who is paying for the new engine. Hopefully good news this week or some news getting frustrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Arizona View Post
    OP,

Any update on your engine?

Default Engine not covered by anyone

Quote Originally Posted by boatgonebad View Post
    No answers and 2 it’s been 2 months and still not sure who is paying for the new engine. Hopefully good news this week or some news getting frustrated.
    What would any of you suggest if no one wants to pay for the 1 year old engine that needs to be replaced? Any suggestions would you get a lawyer?

Quote Originally Posted by boatgonebad View Post
    What would any of you suggest if no one wants to pay for the 1 year old engine that needs to be replaced? Any suggestions would you get a lawyer?
    Yes, have a lawyer review the case and pursue legal action if necessary.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Default 2020 Supra SL 550 Roush Engine needs to be replaced not under warranty

Might want to send a notice/letter to all parties that unless you get a response your next step would be a lawyer. I would let them know you want to work with them.

A lawyer might be useful to get the process moving, it’s going to cost you $, but getting it moving and solving the issue are two different things.

Hope they can make a deal with you to get you back up and running.

Last edited by MJHKnox; 09-22-2021 at 08:25 PM.
    2018 Supra SL400

A letter from a lawyer may cost you $750-1000 to get the point across. A lawsuit would cost more but then they would have to prove in court that the engine expired due to bad gas. You would have to prove that it did not. That's when you go for a settlement and it would cost them less to replace than fight.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Quote Originally Posted by Mischief IV View Post
    A letter from a lawyer may cost you $750-1000 to get the point across. A lawsuit would cost more but then they would have to prove in court that the engine expired due to bad gas. You would have to prove that it did not. That's when you go for a settlement and it would cost them less to replace than fight.
    This advice brought to you by the law offices of Mischief IV, MJHKnox and Associates.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski