Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 04 SSV Starter Replacement(?)

Hi Guys,

I've been an owner of my 04 SSV for 2 seasons now. Lurked around here for awhile enjoying reading up on others projects, etc. I am now stuck with my own service issue and have searched the internet for a coupe days without being able to find anything very helpful. I know this is my 1st post but hopefully I can be welcomed in and anyone with experience can shed some light.

<Issue>
    Engine will not turn over. Makes the sound of dead battery (basically just a dead knock when keys turned). Checked and re-charged all batteries so they are not dead. All other electronic systems on boat seem to be working.

<Background>
    Since last season the boat has often been odd/hard to start. When turning the key, it would often make the sound of a dead battery and then if I held it for a couple seconds it would start to turn over and then fire up. Other times it would sound like a dead battery, I'd turn key back off and then when turned back on it would fire up. I feel like this was probably the starter on its last legs(?)

Now it just won't turn over no matter what. Would you agree the starter is a good place to check first? If so, this leads to the main point of this post- where exactly is the starter on my boat (04 SSV 325efi)? Anyone know the replacement part number? Is there a service manual I can get for this thing to help with these issues and repair jobs? I am fairly handy and would like to at least be able to try the starter job myself before footing the bill to a shop.

Thanks and I hope my long 1st post isn't met with distaste

I think you must have the V-drive, so the starter is on the port side of the engine, near the bottom and forward. Disconnect the battery cables at the battery, then you can undo the large cable on the starter and one (or 2) small wires. There will likely be a medium size alternator wire paired with the large cable. The starter is held in with 2 or 3 long bolts.

That's how easy it is.

With your boat year and engine option you can pick up a new one from most parts houses. I don't know the pn.

As for your diagnosis...there are 3 reasons for your symptoms. Most common is a bad battery. Second is corroded connections on the large cable between the battery and starter. Finally is the starter itself. I usually diagnose in that order.

Quote Originally Posted by CJD View Post
    I think you must have the V-drive, so the starter is on the port side of the engine, near the bottom and forward. Disconnect the battery cables at the battery, then you can undo the large cable on the starter and one (or 2) small wires. There will likely be a medium size alternator wire paired with the large cable. The starter is held in with 2 or 3 long bolts.

That's how easy it is.

With your boat year and engine option you can pick up a new one from most parts houses. I don't know the pn.

As for your diagnosis...there are 3 reasons for your symptoms. Most common is a bad battery. Second is corroded connections on the large cable between the battery and starter. Finally is the starter itself. I usually diagnose in that order.
    Awesome man and thanks! Really appreciate the quick help. I will look at her tonight.

Does it clunk or just do nothing when you turn the key? If accessible, try smacking it with a rubber hammer. I had a starting problem where it would clunk when I turned the key and that was all. I purchased this part http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and it solved my problems. This is a 2001 Sunsport DD 320hp EFI

Quote Originally Posted by kenn6752 View Post
    Awesome man and thanks! Really appreciate the quick help. I will look at her tonight.
    Before you pull the starter, you'll want to "jump" it and see if it could possibly be the relay (I don't know if yours has a relay built into it or not.)

Take a screw driver (with a plastic handle) and use it to connect the terminal with the small wire on it to the terminal with the big battery cable on it. If the starter is OK, it will cause it to spin. It will freak you out. It's not dangerous, but I might not be standing in water while I did it. Beware of how the belts might spin if it does turn the engine over and don't get your arms/clothes wrapped up in them.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Kenn,
    I agree with wotan about trying to jump it first, but, the it slowed down then died is almost certainly the starter. 95% chance.
    You can always get a starter at Cheif or Auto Zone that is not marine rated (40% of the price) which is what I would do. I have a motor repair place in my home town that can rewind the motor and change the brushes called "Auto Start" which is a possibility. Or you can call your dealer and ask him the part number. Good luck!
    2005 24SSV Gravity Games Edition
    Lake Lewisville/ Lake Leon

Again, thanks all for the support.

To catch up on the last few posts-

1. Maybe it's not so much a clunk as it's a matter of hearing like a quick click, I guess dead battery sound is the best I can come up with in description.
    2. I was originally going to give it a whack like a car, but the 1st problem was that I am not familiar with these engines and wasn't exactly sure where the starter was.
    3. Before I add to unnecessary removal and install- I will give it a jumper and ensure it is not the fault relay or other upstream wiring
    4. For the purpose of replacement (and getting a part quick) I would be ok with a standard automotive starter, assuming there is no major fallout or risk by doing so?

Quote Originally Posted by kenn6752 View Post
    4. For the purpose of replacement (and getting a part quick) I would be ok with a standard automotive starter, assuming there is no major fallout or risk by doing so?
    NO. I throw caution to the wind all of the time, but the starter is one item that absolutely, positively, HAS to be marine. NAPA/O'reilly will both be able to get marine starters fairly quickly (but you'll pay out the nose for them.) DBElectrical.com ships from multiple warehouses around the country and usually delivers in 1-2 days. I'd check with them. Not the best quality starters but they are cheap and will get you going quickly. Heck, buy 2 and have a spare and you'll still probably be at 50% of the cost of a NAPA/Oreilly (which are still made in china.)
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

I recommend taking it to a reputable rebuilt and have him rebuild it. My local guy uses parts not used by the normal manufacture. It cost about the same as a new "reman" but lasts allot longer. Chalking the starters out on these is a pain. I had a new starter put in when I bought my boat and it only lasted two years.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

Well been a few days behind on tearing into things. I located the starter last night and while right by it I had my dad turn the key on. It's definitely a "click" that you hear. I found a starter and alternator rebuilder not to far away so I am planning to have him go through and reman things. Hoping the current no go issue is just the starter, but I am thinking that either way it wouldn't hurt to get that freshened because I am pretty sure that the last 2 seasons of it sounding like a dead battery and chugging for a few seconds before really turning over were the starter getting weaker(?). Have a houseboat trip over the 4th so hoping to have everything reliable before I head down.