Default Direct Drive prop shaft coupler

Im in the process of changing out my dripless shaft seal and ive unbolted the coupler from the trans but it will not separate??? I dont see any kind of set screw so Im not sure whats holding it. there are tool marks on it already and also on the shaft itself so seems like its a hard job?? should it be? thought removing the coupler from the shaft would be the hard part.

Quote Originally Posted by Evwilliams View Post
    Im in the process of changing out my dripless shaft seal and ive unbolted the coupler from the trans but it will not separate??? I dont see any kind of set screw so Im not sure whats holding it. there are tool marks on it already and also on the shaft itself so seems like its a hard job?? should it be? thought removing the coupler from the shaft would be the hard part.
    Its just stuck. There is a male/female pilot fit between the two. Apply a little penetrating oil and tap on it easy to break it loose.

Thanks. That is what I tried, it helped.. The real issue was that the back of the motor needed to come up a bit because it was slightly out of alignment causing a tight hold on the coupler.

I just went through this same task this afternoon on my Santera. I found a video on YouTube from SkiDIM (Discount Inboard Marine) that was helpful for me. They pointed me to those videos when I ordered goretex rope for the shaft seal and cutlass bushings from them. I ended up needing to slide the shaft towards the stern after getting the 4 coupler bolts off, then used a 27mm oil filter socket (really shallow socket) to remove the shaft coupler nut after taking the set screw out, then I left the nut on by a couple threads and used a small socket that sat inside the nut against the shaft, then used two longer bolts and reconnected the coupler to the drive flange, and tightened them down evenly on each side. This basically uses a socket as a press tool to pop the shaft out of the flange. Then I pulled the shaft clear out of the stuffing box and support. After that I could disconnect the coupling flange from the drive again for reassembly.
    Last edited by nick 55; 09-04-2021 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Didn’t read that it was direct drive until after posting…