Default Another composite or not stringer question.

Been reading many posts on this forum about when Supra switched to composite stringers in 1992, although not all boats were composite etc.Mine is an Esprit (Combrio) built in July of 1992 according to the hull id # so I dont know if my boat is actually considered a 93 model or 92. In one post it was mentioned that the esprits & Impules didnt make the composite cut in 92. Mine does have a square windshield but it also has composite seat bottoms.Engine mount bolts are solid into the stringers & they are all solid grey with no signs of rot. Just thought i would put it out there to see what the consensus is as i dont really want to drill into a stringer to find out if i dont have to.The boat sits level & does not sit lower than a dry Combrio or Comp of that era. The floor has one small soft spot about 4 x 8 in. between the drivers seat & the rear seat where it meets the side of the boat, an area where you would be likely to step in & out of the boat. Repairing a floor i can deal with. Everything else is solid.
    Last edited by Glenbo; 08-24-2021 at 12:14 PM.

My 1991 Comp is confirmed composite with square windshield. It was built in January of 1991, six months before the '92 models would come out.

The Esprit was the entry level trim of the Comp/ Conbrio model. (example, LS, LST, RST, Z7, High Country for a Tahoe) It would not surprise me if they weren't composite till after other more expensive models had been upgraded but if it is a '92 model, I would think composite. Small drill to stringer won't kill it. You can remove carpet and test floor underneath also.

If the last 2 digits of the HIN are '92, then it is a 1992 model. Send me a PM with the HIN and I will confirm it for you.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Sent you PM.

1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Thank you for verifying my hull id Mischief. It was advertised as a 93 model when I bought it but got more suspicious as I started reading the forums. There are posts of 92 Esprits undergoing stringer rebuilds & I can verify that my floor is fiberglassed wood. I may just stick a very small drill bit into a stringer by
    the engine bay & see what happens.

You have to remember that in 1991/ 92 there was a recession.
    Boat sales weren’t great then. Supra had some trying times after it went public and staying afloat was their main priority.
    With some of the stories I’ve heard on here, the tales get stranger when referring to the model years ‘91, ‘92 and ‘93.

1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

My $.02 ... if all of your motor mounts are tight and stay tight, and there are no obvious signs of rotton wood ... don't do anything but have fun with it! The floor behind the driver's seat is usually where wet skis, vests and ropes would end up .. a common area to find soft floor.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com