Default Fuel Gauge Doesn't Work - 89 TS6M

Hey all,

I'm buying an '89 TS6M on Thursday (super excited, will be my first boat!) and the fuel gauge doesn't work. It reads completely empty at all times. I've only seen a few threads and found answers pointing to the sender, but nothing specific to the '89 TS6M.

Does anyone have experience fixing the same issue? Is it the sender or could it be something else?

Thanks for any help - not sure if this is a question that can apply to all models, but we all learn somewhere right!

Centroid Products 386-423-3574 they make electronic senders not effected by waves. You will need to know how deep the tank is and what brand the gauge is . I put one in my 89 Sunsport in 89 still works today.

I too am interested in replacing my fuel gauge. Mine works, but I am not confident in its accuracy. It fluctuates a LOT with waves and seems to always read 1/4 - 1/8 of a tank lower than actual once it goes past a 1/2 tank. How easy is it to replace the gauge?

It will eliminate the fluctuations . Very easy to change just remove the old sender and replace it with the new 2 wires and you are good to go.

Second Centroid sender. Michael installed one in my boat before i purchased it from him and it's fantastic.

More like the forth one never had any problems with them.

Okay Mr. Hunter and Hoop47, you have convinced me.

I will be calling Mary at Centroid Products to order an electronic fuel sending unit.

But could you answer a couple of questions to help confirm what Centroid will tell me I need (yes, I'll measure if Centroid wants me to).

My Craft (all original) is a 1990 Supra SunSport VDO Fuel Gauge; 37 USG Buechler Aluminum tank; two wire sending unit Model 32-B1-67.

Please see photo.

As that was a common tank and you guys have done a few Centroids, perhaps you would know:

(1) what length worked well for a 37 gal tank, and
    (2) whether Centroid's 2 wire option works with a VDO.

Many thanks guys.

MySupra
    Attached Images Attached Images

Take the old sender out and measure the depth of the tank . They will make one compatible with VDO.

Will do.
    Thanks,
    MySupra

Mr. Hunter: I have a 1990 SunSport with a 37 gal tank, a the original stock two-wire VDO fuel gauge.

To purchase a new fuel sending unit, as you suggested, I spoke with Mary at Centroid. Surprisingly, Mary said she would need the number on the VDO gauge itself to create the sending unit to determine ohms. She also said she does not think they can do a two wire sender on a VDO gauge; a VDO would need a three wire (the third to the ignition hot). However, the boat is hours away.

Mary searched for other Supra senders that they have made over the years and said none were VDO. That also is surprising.

I'm betting your Centroid Supras had the original VDOs.

I write to see if:

1. you happen to have the number on the VDO or perhaps your Centroid order number (perhaps date of purchase, or anything Mary can use to find your order so she can use that info for mine), and

2. Did they create a two wire or three wire for your VDO?

Many thanks,
    Mark.