Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Launch 22SSV drops to idle

Hey all,
    Just bought a used 2006 Supra SSV22 GG edition from a friend. Took it out and was getting up on a slalom ski and the motor started out strong out of the hole, then the engine cut to idle before the boat (or I) could plane out. The throttle was wide open but the engine was just idling and the transmission was in neutral. I turned the boat off, waited a few minutes, and restarted it without problems. Later, I tried surfing behind it and was able to plane out without issues, but 4 or so minutes after riding the wave, the engine again randomly dropped to idle and the transmission disengaged. I'm totally befuddled. I've checked the forum and learned about "limp mode" but that doesn't seem consistent with what i'm experiencing since that mode usually limits your RPM and doesn't disengage the transmission. Temp ran around 180 the whole time on the water. I'm replacing the fuel filter tonight just in case. My perfect pass screen is dead (i'm told this is also common), and I pushed a few buttons on it to try to turn it on while on the water. Any chance this is just a setting on my perfect pass that I mucked up? Any suggestions would be great bc the local dealer can't get to me for 3-4 weeks.... i'd hate to miss the end of the season over this.

Quote Originally Posted by jblloyd View Post
    Hey all,
    Just bought a used 2006 Supra SSV22 GG edition from a friend. Took it out and was getting up on a slalom ski and the motor started out strong out of the hole, then the engine cut to idle before the boat (or I) could plane out. The throttle was wide open but the engine was just idling and the transmission was in neutral. I turned the boat off, waited a few minutes, and restarted it without problems. Later, I tried surfing behind it and was able to plane out without issues, but 4 or so minutes after riding the wave, the engine again randomly dropped to idle and the transmission disengaged. I'm totally befuddled. I've checked the forum and learned about "limp mode" but that doesn't seem consistent with what i'm experiencing since that mode usually limits your RPM and doesn't disengage the transmission. Temp ran around 180 the whole time on the water. I'm replacing the fuel filter tonight just in case. My perfect pass screen is dead (i'm told this is also common), and I pushed a few buttons on it to try to turn it on while on the water. Any chance this is just a setting on my perfect pass that I mucked up? Any suggestions would be great bc the local dealer can't get to me for 3-4 weeks.... i'd hate to miss the end of the season over this.
    I think the surging issue is definitely tied to your Perfect Pass. I had the same thing happen on my 04'(mine didn't come out of gear though). The part I don't get is that it comes out of gear. Can you drive it with someone in the boat and watch the shift linkage while your moving? I'm thinking there's something going on inside your throttle/shift control unit next to the driver. You can disconnect the linkage on the Perfect Pass or kill the power on it to eliminate that.

Not a bad idea to check out the shift linkage while I'm on the water. I'll put it in the water tomorrow and see if I can make heads or tails of it. I like your idea of disconnecting the perfect pass to eliminate that variable. i'll get under the dash and unplug it and see if that changes anything

So I got it out on the water yesterday and the shift linkage looks perfect. I unplugged the perfect pass GPS and RPM inputs and now the boat doesn't stop and has plenty of power! But a new problem popped up. before I took it out, I did a servo test on the perfect pass system and now my MPH gauge (the supra one, not the perfect pass one) is WAY off. says i'm going 5mph when i'm doing around 20mph. it goes up and down correctly but is much slower than it should be. is there a way to re-calibrate this?

So I got it out on the water yesterday and the shift linkage looks perfect. I unplugged the perfect pass GPS and RPM inputs and now the boat doesn't stop and has plenty of power! But a new problem popped up. before I took it out, I did a servo test on the perfect pass system and now my MPH gauge (the supra one, not the perfect pass one) is WAY off. says i'm going 5mph when i'm doing around 20mph. it goes up and down correctly but is much slower than it should be. is there a way to re-calibrate this?
    Yes, there is a calibration switch (dial). On my boat it is on the front of the trim panel down by the drivers seat. About where your knee would be sitting in the seat. It’s a remote switch that goes up to the factory speedo. Some don’t have it and you have to adjust it at the back of the speedo under the dash. I’ll see if I can send a pic of mine.

Are you sure it’s going to neutral? I know if the PP has a weak ground then it will drop to idle and throttle movement does nothing. Make sure all connections are good and clean with Deoxit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool, thanks for the tip on the speedo knob. I just played around with it and you are exactly right. Problem solved!

Turbinesurgeon:
    Yeah, it drops to idle. Thats a good thought on the perfect pass system. Since my screen was going out I ordered a replacement which got here yesterday. When I pull the cluster i'll take a good look around and see if I can track down a green ground wire and make sure its not shorting out somewhere. i'll let you know how it goes

I got the perfect pass updated and installed the new cluster. Tested it yesterday and that system now works perfect. I did some more toying around and you guys were right - it doesn’t disengage the transmission it just won’t throttle up. It only did it during the first few runs of the day. Checked my v drive fluid and it’s super low. I wonder if when the bow goes up as I throttle up the fluid would move in the v drive in such a way as to tell the computer to shut down to limp mode? I noticed the red warning light by my right leg would flicker when I throttle up quickly but not when I throttle up slow. Should be an easy test - I’ll change the v drive fluid out and check for leaks and retest.

Glad you got it all working. Thanks for posting your fix.

I got the perfect pass updated and installed the new cluster. Tested it yesterday and that system now works perfect. I did some more toying around and you guys were right - it doesn’t disengage the transmission it just won’t throttle up. It only did it during the first few runs of the day. Checked my v drive fluid and it’s super low. I wonder if when the bow goes up as I throttle up the fluid would move in the v drive in such a way as to tell the computer to shut down to limp mode? I noticed the red warning light by my right leg would flicker when I throttle up quickly but not when I throttle up slow. Should be an easy test - I’ll change the v drive fluid out and check for leaks and retest.
    If it still chops every once in awhile you definitely have a loose connection or bad ground. Mine did it in rough water, super annoying. It’s nothing in your transmission or V-drive. The red light just indicates low oil pressure in the v-drive and it’s ok if it’s on at idle, usually goes out around 1500rpm. So I wouldn’t worry about that unless it came on after you throttle up and stayed on. Your issue is definitely in the wiring to the PP or your boat has a weak ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk