Hybrid View

Default Picking up new to my 89 TS6M

Hello all, fist post. I've been lurking the past few months. Picking up my first boat in the next few weeks. I'm driving from IN to NC to drag it home. Buying boat from my aunt. Boat has sat for 10 years or so. As I'm not around to see the boat, I'll be bringing tools and new tires to make our journey north. As the bearing condition is a total mystery to me, I'd like to have new bearings on me when I arrive. Does anyone know what size bearings these trailers take? It's the single axle trailer that I'm ASSUMING came with the boat in 89.
    The boat is in really good shape but does have some stringer rot. It sounds like 1-2 of the motor mount bolts spin. I'm hoping I can put a bandaid on it and delay the inevitable stringer replacement. I'm cheap and relatively handy, so that will be a DIY hopefully a while from now in the future.
    I remember skiing/tubing behind this boat when I was a kid. While I only saw this boat once or twice growing up, I always thought it was awesome. It's kinda funny now that it'll be coming home with me.
    Thank you all in advance for your help!

I have a 89 with a SMP trailer the bearings are a stock Item but the races are different from what you will find in most sets. Here are the numbers for my trailer.
    Inner bearing L68149 Race L68110
    Outer bearing L44649 Race L44610
    Seal 2.33 OD 1.68 ID
    National seal number 473317

Thank you for your reply! I'll have these on order shortly!

I've spent some time looking at parts for these boats. It's not quite a "make, model and year" setup on most sites. Are parts that fit a 351 pretty much universal? It's a little confusing so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Psode27 View Post
    Thank you for your reply! I'll have these on order shortly!

I've spent some time looking at parts for these boats. It's not quite a "make, model and year" setup on most sites. Are parts that fit a 351 pretty much universal? It's a little confusing so far.
    SkiDim.com if they will answer your call. Called four times before they picked up. Left messages, returned call 2 days later. Service has fallen off big time. They charged me $16 bucks to mail a 2 ounce package next state over so I returned it and went to local Supra dealer for part. Cost $4.50 to send back and they refunded the part but not the shipping so I ultimately lost $20 bucks and they lose a 20 year customer. They spend all their time out skiing I guess versus taking care of their customers. People are still loyal to them on this forum but I will take my business elsewhere unless completely necessary to order from them. I’ve spent big money with them this year restoring my ‘91 Comp and they screw me over $16 bucks shipping. Your mileage may very.

Started using Marinepartssource.com for basic items I used to get from SkiDim.

Bakesonline.com and Nautiqueparts.com are good source as well.

Greatlakesskipper.com

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Quote Originally Posted by Psode27 View Post
    Hello all, fist post. I've been lurking the past few months. Picking up my first boat in the next few weeks. I'm driving from IN to NC to drag it home. Buying boat from my aunt. Boat has sat for 10 years or so. As I'm not around to see the boat, I'll be bringing tools and new tires to make our journey north. As the bearing condition is a total mystery to me, I'd like to have new bearings on me when I arrive. Does anyone know what size bearings these trailers take? It's the single axle trailer that I'm ASSUMING came with the boat in 89.
    The boat is in really good shape but does have some stringer rot. It sounds like 1-2 of the motor mount bolts spin. I'm hoping I can put a bandaid on it and delay the inevitable stringer replacement. I'm cheap and relatively handy, so that will be a DIY hopefully a while from now in the future.
    I remember skiing/tubing behind this boat when I was a kid. While I only saw this boat once or twice growing up, I always thought it was awesome. It's kinda funny now that it'll be coming home with me.
    Thank you all in advance for your help!
    New tires are a must and properly inflated for travel.
    Jack up each wheel and spin it fast. If it doesn’t make any noise, bearings are ok. Grease each wheel accordingly.

Bad bearings will make noise. Wheel can be wobbly. If you have to pull, numbers like Michael gave you are imprinted on the back of each bearing and race. Just clean with some brake cleaner and compare. Make sure you have correct numbers. In my experience, bearings are usually the culprit but races have been fine saving you lots of time. If races are rusted and scarred, then replace but otherwise, leave them alone.

Check inside of wheel for grease. If lots of grease on wheel, you have bad seal but not necessarily bad bearings. You can pull hub off and just replace seal, then put it all back together. If you do bearings and races, make sure to do new seals.

I replaced all bearings, races and seals on my single axle Comp trailer in about 55 minutes start to finish this spring. Northern Tool and Equipment had it all packaged in one kit which saved a lot of time vs ordering all separately.

YouTube will be your best friend. Lots of good vids on how to do this. Good luck and welcome to forum. Post pics when possible.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Keep us posted. What part of Indiana? We could be neighbors.

Thank you for all the replies!
    Plan on picking up the boat at the end of the month. I e got tires shipped to the location of the boat and plan on ordering bearings asap.
    I live in Rochester IN.

Praying for a safe return. I'm in Lafayette. Would like to see your new toy. Send pix.

I wanted to post a quick update! I'm officially a boat owner! My dad and I took my 03 Silverado with 240k miles, drove 12 hours from home, hooked up a boat and towed it home through the mountains! I'm happy to report that we made the trip without incident. Wheel bearings were good and the seals actually had factory trailer paint on them. I'm guessing that the trailer is very low mileage! We repacked the bearings and we were good!
    I'll post pics as soon as I'm able (need another free hosting site), but I think it's it good shape for the year. Interior is in very respectable condition, carpet good, 1-2 spots in the floor getting soft. I haven't had a battery hooked up to it yet, but the bulge pump looks partially disassembled and it's sitting in some water. This water could be very likely from the trip home, as we were given rain off and on the whole trip. I'm hoping to screw with the pump and put a battery on the boat this weekend.
    Motor is in good shape, but hasn't ran in a while. My plan is to put some oil in each cylinder and then fog each cylinder. I'll let it sit, then maybe do it again. I'd like to leave plugs out and see if it will crank.
    Stringers will need replaced at some point, but I'm hoping I can push it for a few years. I am fairly self sufficient and that will be an eventual DIY job.
    Gel coat looks good, though there is some staining and general sun damage. I'm probably not gonna get to buffing it this winter, but I think it'll clean up nice.
    Steering wheel will not turn, not sure why. Haven't begun to troubleshoot but I'm hopeful it will be something dumb.
    It came with a few sets of skis, knee boards and tubes. I don't have much experience on any of that stuff but I'm excited to try! I'm trying to get my 5 year old pumped for playing out on the water!
    I'll hopefully get an order for an impeller and other random parts in the next few days. Anything else I should just replace and not mess with? Thank you in advance for your future help!